How do I calculate hours worked on 3rd shift?

  1. #1
    Steve
    Guest

    How do I calculate hours worked on 3rd shift?

    How do you set up a calculation to compute hours when the shift goes from 11:
    p.m. to 7: a.m. Normal calculations won't work in this case.

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: How do I calculate hours worked on 3rd shift?

    Direct subtraction should work if you tell Excel that the times are for
    different dates:
    In A1, A2:

    9/11/05 11:00 PM
    9/12/05 7:00 AM

    In A3 put:
    =A2-A1 and format as hh:mm and you will see:

    8:00
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate hours worked on 3rd shift?

    check contexture's or chip pearson's page

    http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqDat.html

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datearith.htm

    --

    Gary

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate hours worked on 3rd shift?

    and just in addition...

    if you format a3 as a number, multiply it by 24, =(a2-a1)*24, just in case
    you want to figure out an hourly wage, for example.

    --

    Gary

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate hours worked on 3rd shift?

    =MOD(E7-D7,1)
    Assume Start time is in D7 and End time in E7. Format the cell as Time

    Tom Ogilvy