Running a Script upon Saving a File

  1. #1
    Michael
    Guest

    Running a Script upon Saving a File

    I was wondering if someone can help me.

    I am trying to help a friend with a project he is working on. He is using
    excel to store and manage simple inventory data. (He won't use Access.) He
    wants to keep track of who/when someone makes changing to the file and saves
    it. So, he asked me to write a script to do this for him.

    Let say I make a change to the data contained in the worksheets and then
    save the file. He would like a script to be run that would ask for a name and
    store that information along with the date stored in the worksheet that was
    changed.

    Unfortunately, its been a while since I last wrote anything in Visual Basic.
    I also do not know if you can do such a thing when someone saves a file.

    The only thing I can think of is to have a macro on each sheet and have them
    click it whenever they change something. Is there a better way?

    I would appreciate any assistance or advice anyone would like to offer.

    Thanks,

    -Michael

  2. #2
    mark
    Guest

    RE: Running a Script upon Saving a File

    > Let say I make a change to the data contained in the worksheets and then
    > save the file. He would like a script to be run that would ask for a name and
    > store that information along with the date stored in the worksheet that was
    > changed.

    It sounds like you want to use the workbook's BeforeSave Event :

    'code here

    End Sub

    In the VBA Editor window, use View-Project Explorer, then select
    ThisWorkbook , use the left dropbox at the top to select Workbook, and then
    the right drop box to select BeforeSave

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Running a Script upon Saving a File

    Start out by looking at Chip Pearson's page on events

    http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/events.htm

    Looks like you would be interested in the workbook level Change event and
    the BeforeSave event.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4