select first empty cell in a range

  1. #1
    Shawn
    Guest

    select first empty cell in a range

    Let's say I have a range of cells (A5:D15). I would like a VBA code that
    would start at A5 and go down from A5 to A15, then start at B5 and progress
    to B15, then C5 - C15 etc. until it finds the first empty cell.

    Please help.
    --
    Thanks
    Shawn

  2. #2
    Rowan
    Guest

    Re: select first empty cell in a range

    This will loop through the cells in a the range going A5, B5, C5, D5,
    A6, B6 etc until it finds an empty cell.

    Sub lprng()
    Dim cell As Range
    For Each cell In Range("A5:D15")
    If cell.Value = Empty Then
    Debug.Print cell.Address
    Exit For
    End If
    Next cell
    End Sub

    Or if you wanted to perform some operation on each cell in the range then:

    Sub lprng()
    Dim cell As Range
    For Each cell In Range("A5:D15")
    cell.Font.Bold = True
    Next cell
    End Sub

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  3. #3
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: select first empty cell in a range

    Hi Shawn,

    Try:
    '==================>>
    Public Sub Tester()
    Dim WB As Workbook
    Dim WB As Workbook
    Dim SH As Worksheet

    Set WB = ActiveWorkbook '<<========== CHANGE
    Set SH = ActiveSheet '<<========== CHANGE

    Dim rng As Range

    Set rng = SH.Range("A5:D15")
    Dim FirstBlank As Range
    Dim i As Long

    For i = 1 To rng.Columns.Count
    On Error Resume Next 'In case no empty cells found!
    Set FirstBlank = rng.Columns(i).SpecialCells(xlBlanks)(1)
    On Error GoTo 0
    If Not FirstBlank Is Nothing Then
    'First empty cell found
    'Do something e.g.:
    MsgBox FirstBlank.Address
    Exit For
    End If
    Next i
    If FirstBlank Is Nothing Then
    'No empty cells found in designated range!
    'Do something else, e.g.
    MsgBox "No empty cells found in " _
    & rng.Address(0, 0, external:=True)

    ---