Quick Start to working with checkboxes etc within a worksheet

  1. #1
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    Quick Start to working with checkboxes etc within a worksheet

    Morning, all,

    Not having done anything like this before, I'd be gtarefful if anyone could
    provide me with a quick start to working with checkboxes and other controls
    within a worksheet - how to reference them, assign object variables, check
    their statuses etc.

    Specifically, i want to be able to make the contents of a cell change to
    "Yes" or "No", depending on whether a checkbox is checked.

    I know it's probably simple, but I haven't done it before, so any help would
    be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

    Pete

  2. #2

    Re: Quick Start to working with checkboxes etc within a worksheet

    There is a checkbox on the Forms toolbar. And there's a different checkbox on
    the Control toolbox toolbar.

    I'd use the checkboxes from the Forms toolbar.

    Just add a checkbox to the worksheet.
    rightclick on it and choose Format Control
    on the Control tab, assign a nice linked cell
    (Maybe column A of the row that holds the checkbox???)

    Then this linked cell will be true or false depending on the "checkedness" of
    that checkbox.

    If you have to have yes/no, you could use a formula in column B (same row) that
    looks like:

    =if(a1=true,"yes","no")

    And if you find that column A makes the worksheet look ugly, you could always
    hide it when you're done creating the worksheet.

  3. #3
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    Re: Quick Start to working with checkboxes etc within a worksheet

    Dave,

    This is a great help. I'm now looking for a way do do this in VBA so I don't
    need to link the object to the target range.

    This is what I have so far - I don't get any errors, but the value of
    TargetCell doesn't change either!

    Any thoughts?

    Sub CheckBox()

    Dim CheckButton1 As Shape
    Set CheckButton1 = Sheets("Sheet1").Shapes("Check Box 2")

    Dim TargetCell As Range
    Set TargetCell = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("Target1")

    On Error GoTo ws_exit:

    Application.EnableEvents = False

    If CheckButton1 Then
    TargetCell.Formula = "Yes"
    Else
    TargetCell.Formula = "No"
    End If

    ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True

    End Sub

    Cheers

    Pete

  4. #4

    Re: Quick Start to working with checkboxes etc within a worksheet

    I'd still try to use a linked cell that was close to the checkbox and use the
    position of the checkbox to make the change to the cell.

    Then I could use just one macro (still assigned to all the checkboxes, though)
    that does all the work.

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme()

    Dim CBX As CheckBox
    Dim myCell As Range

    Set CBX = ActiveSheet.CheckBoxes(Application.Caller)
    Set myCell = CBX.TopLeftCell.Offset(0, -1)

    If CBX.Value = xlOn Then
    myCell.Value = "Yes"
    Else
    myCell.Value = "No"

    The .offset(0,-1) meant that I used a cell one column to the left of the
    checkbox.

  5. #5
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    Re: Quick Start to working with checkboxes etc within a worksheet

    Dave,

    I'm puzzled - if a checkbox is a floating object, how do you specify an
    offset to it? Also, Should "Application.caller" be changed to (in My Case)
    "Check Box 2"?
    I did this, but when I attach the macro to the check box and click it, all
    that happens is I am placed in the VBA Editor, but with no error messages.
    Now I'm REALLY confused! :-)

    Pete

  6. #6

    Re: Quick Start to working with checkboxes etc within a worksheet

    First, make sure you used a checkbox from the Forms toobar--not a checkbox from
    the Control Toolbox toolbar. And make sure you assigned the macro to the
    checkbox.

    And if you only have one checkbox to process, you could be specific in the code
    (using "check box 2").

    But if you have multiple checkboxes (only from the forms toolbar), then you can
    use the same code for all of them. Application.caller returns the name of the
    checkbox that was clicked. This way you don't need 57 macros for 57 different
    checkboxes.

    And even though the object floats over the worksheet's cells, it still can be
    positioned over cells.

    CBX.topleftcell
    is the top left cell that is under the checkbox.
    cbx.bottomrightcell is the bottom right cell

    When you're driving through the intersection of State and Main, you're not
    actually in that layer of asphalt. But by using that intersection, we can still
    locate you.

  7. #7
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    Re: Quick Start to working with checkboxes etc within a worksheet

    Dave,

    Thanks for this - my brain is getting nicely full...

    I'll give it a go in the morning and get back to you.

    Regards

    Pete

  8. #8
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    Re: Quick Start to working with checkboxes etc within a worksheet

    Dave,

    I've gone through this again this morning, and now my tiny brain has
    effected knowledge transfer - thank you VERY much - green tick for you, sir!
    :-)

    Cheers

    Pete