How to avoid excel automatically detect the cells formatl???

  1. #1
    filo666
    Guest

    How to avoid excel automatically detect the cells formatl???

    Hi, I have a problem, the day date is in cell c3; and in all the other cells
    the format is the general format, if my user makes a mistake and put the date
    in some other cell that isn’t c3 the format of that cell is changed to date
    format, and all the numbers are wrong because so, There is somehow I can tell
    excel not to detect automatically the format of the cells so if the user put
    23/09/05 and then he erase this data and put 345 the cell didn’t show
    10/12/1900?????
    TIA

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: How to avoid excel automatically detect the cells formatl???

    That is the problem with general. It is roughly the equivalent of of
    declaring a variable as variant. Once the cell is initialized as being of a
    specific format then it will remain that way unless something changes. Why
    not use the on change event to reformat the cell the way you want it based on
    validation of the cell contents. The problem you have is 345 is a perfectly
    valid date. You can use validation to say that that is not a valid date so
    format it as numeric.
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  3. #3
    filo666
    Guest

    RE: How to avoid excel automatically detect the cells formatl???

    Thanks Jim, good suggestion.
    Could you tell me whom to ask some questions that I have and that nobody
    could answerme in the disscutions group????

  4. #4
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: How to avoid excel automatically detect the cells formatl???

    I have never found a better forum than this. The majority of questions that
    go unanswered normally

    1. deal with a subject that is not strictly Excel
    2. are not specific. The question is a project not a specific piece of a
    project.
    3. To much to answer in one go. Three or four questions all asked at once.
    One or two will be answered but not all.
    4. To large in scope to deal with on a forum like this.

    Ask a question that is one well defined specific Excel question and for the
    most part you will get a response. Most of your questions (that I have seen)
    have been of that format and have been answered. Repost what was missed and
    we can take another stab at them.
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  5. #5
    filo666
    Guest

    RE: How to avoid excel automatically detect the cells formatl???

    tanks, I will do it