Set MyPath variable as workbook.path

  1. #1

    Unhappy Set MyPath variable as workbook.path

    The code for this is below.
    I simply want to set the variable MyPath as the directory that the workbook was opened from.

    I'm coding this macro in VB

    Thanks in advance for the help.

  2. #2

    Re: Set MyPath variable as workbook.path

    Dim myPath as string
    mypath = thisworkbook.path

    Hey, you've already got that in your code!

    What's the real problem?

    If that path is a different drive, maybe:

    ChDrive MyPath
    ChDir MyPath

    (One to change drive and one to change folders.)

  3. #3

    It's defaulting to My Documents

    No matter what I put as MyPath; unless it's a straight path
    Then it goes to the My Documents folder, and part of the problem is that sometimes I have this file saved under a shared network spot

    I.E.

    \\serverName\asdf\asdf\asdf\File.xls

    So the chdrive function doesn't work.

    also in some of the code below what I had posted, I already have the

    chdir MyPath script written.

  4. #4

    Re: Set MyPath variable as workbook.path

    The chdrive won't work on network drives.

    But you can use an API call:

    Option Explicit
    Private Declare Function SetCurrentDirectoryA Lib _
    "kernel32" (ByVal lpPathName As String) As Long
    Sub ChDirNet(szPath As String)
    Dim lReturn As Long
    lReturn = SetCurrentDirectoryA(szPath)
    If lReturn = 0 Then Err.Raise vbObjectError + 1, "Error setting path."
    End Sub
    Sub testme02()

    Dim mySavedPath As String

    mySavedPath = CurDir

    ChDirNet ThisWorkbook.Path

    'do your stuff

    ChDirNet mySavedPath

    End Sub

    This actually works with mapped drives, too.