SQL practice with Excel?

  1. #1
    J_J
    Guest

    SQL practice with Excel?

    Hi,
    I am sorry if my question may look like a bit off-topic but,
    are there excel tools or utils that I can try some SQL commans or codes?
    Regards

  2. #2
    Vacation's Over
    Guest

    RE: SQL practice with Excel?

    you will find everything posted on the access.programming newsgroup

  3. #3
    TK
    Guest

    RE: SQL practice with Excel?

    Hi JJ

    If you have Access you will also have Northwind “the sample DB.”
    You can run one of the sample queries and then choose
    Menu: View: SQL: SQL View
    This will show the SQL query statement.
    I have seen numerous recommendations from people that recommend
    things like this if using Access as the back end, development and test
    your query in Access and then copy and paste the SQL statement into
    your code. However, even if you do not intend to use Access an SQL
    statement is an SQL statement wherever you learn it or use it.

    Good Luck
    TK

  4. #4
    Nick Hebb
    Guest

    Re: SQL practice with Excel?

    Yes, there is a query builder available in Excel. From the menu choose
    Data > Import External Data > New Database Query.

    It will walk you through a wizard for selecting the data source and the
    tables, then present you with a QBE grid (QBE = query by example).
    There's an 'SQL' toolbar button that you can click to enter the SQL
    manually.

    You can also play around with SQL by writing data access code in VBA.
    The help files are pretty good for showing some basic stuff.

    If you don't have a database to use (e.g. Access or SQL Server), you
    can just use Excel as a data source. In another Excel file, create a
    grid of data with row headings. Then define a name for the range. When
    you use the Import External data wizard I mentioned above, select the
    Excel file as your data source.

    HTH,

    Nick Hebb
    BreezeTree Software
    http://www.breezetree.com

  5. #5
    J_J
    Guest

    Re: SQL practice with Excel?

    Thank you all...NIck, TK and Vacation's Over
    You are most helpful.
    J_J

    news:[email protected]...