Finding duplicate entries with matching lengths, total the quantities, delete the extras

  1. #1
    RShow
    Guest

    Finding duplicate entries with matching lengths, total the quantities, delete the extras

    Greetings,
    Column F contains the description of the part
    Column J contains the length in Feet.
    Column L contains the remaining length in Inches.
    Column N contains the quantity.

    Lets say the data is something like the following.
    F13 through F16 = "Angle 1 x 1 x 1/4"
    J13 through J16 = 15
    L13 through L16 = 10.75
    N13 = 22, N14 = 5, N15 = 7, N16 = 10.

    F17 through F18 = "Angle 1 x 1 x 1/4"
    J17 through J18 = 22
    L17 through L18 = 9.50
    N17 = 55, N17 = 27

    From the above example how can i get the data condensed to two rows showing
    Angle 1 x 1 x 1/4 @ 15 ft 10.75 in with a total of 44 pieces (22 + 5 + 7 +
    10)?
    Angle 1 x 1 x 1/4 @ 22 ft 9.50 in with a total of 82 pieces (55 + 27)?

    I've only shown one part description in this example, however, there are
    many different parts, with varying lengths.
    I need to total all quantities of the same parts when the feet and inches
    match, and delete the duplicate lines after totaling.
    If the part's description is the same, but the feet and inches don't match,
    then the lines will remain.

    Any help with this is greatly apprectiated.
    Thank you very much.

  2. #2
    Stefi
    Guest

    RE: Finding duplicate entries with matching lengths, total the quantit

    My suggestion:

    Make a helper column, say O, enter in O2 =F2&J2&L2 (or =F2&" "&J2&"ft
    "&L2&"in" to be nicer), fill down as necessary,
    Sort your table by column O,
    Create Subtotals by column O, totalling column N,
    Click on Subtotal-level button 2 in top left corner of sheet window!

    Regards,
    Stefi