Can I link or embed .pdf files into or to an excel file?

  1. #1
    GrubbyG
    Guest

    Can I link or embed .pdf files into or to an excel file?

    I would like to link .pdf files to an excel file. Within my excel file I
    would like to have a column that has file names in it. Then have excel link
    those files to the excel file so when I print the excel file all the linked
    files print along with it.

  2. #2
    Mel Arquiza
    Guest

    RE: Can I link or embed .pdf files into or to an excel file?

    Hi GrubbyG,

    Try to cut and paste this macro code below and run. It is not only PDF but
    all the files.

    Sub AutoHyperlinkFileNametoExcel()
    Dim fnam As Variant

    ' fnam is an array of files returned from GetOpenFileName
    ' note that fnam is of type boolean if no array is returned.
    ' That is, if the user clicks
    ' on cancel in the file open dialog box, fnam is set to FALSE

    Dim b As Integer 'counter for filname array
    Dim b1 As Integer 'counter for finding \ in filename
    Dim Cell As Range
    Dim x As Integer
    ' first open a blank sheet and go to top left ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets.Add

    fnam = Application.GetOpenFilename("all files (*.*), *.*", 1, _
    "Select Files to Fill Range", "Get Data", True)

    If TypeName(fnam) = "Boolean" And Not (IsArray(fnam)) Then Exit
    Sub 'if user hits cancel, then end

    For b = 1 To UBound(fnam)

    ' print out the filename (with path) into first column of new
    sheet
    ActiveSheet.Cells(b, 1) = fnam(b)
    b1 = Len(fnam(b))

    ' add any other columns to s/s here
    ' this code makes the drawing name from the filename
    ' by stripping off the directory name and the extension

    Do While Mid(fnam(b), b1, 1) <> "\"
    b1 = b1 - 1
    Loop
    Next
    'resize the columns

    ActiveSheet.Range("a:zz").Columns.AutoFit
    x = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
    Range("B1").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=HYPERLINK(RC[-1])"
    Range("B1").Select
    Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("B1:B" & x), Type:=xlFillDefault
    End Sub

    Hope this helps.