Closed Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

wish to make a Birthday reminder!!

  1. #1

    wish to make a Birthday reminder!!

    hello all,
    I am new to Excel programming. and as a start I wished to create a Bday reminder where in one worksheet I will have all my friends names and against them I will have their Birthdays written in DD-MM format. I tried to write a VBA code to pick the date from the worksheet and check it with the curent Date. this was the logic I thought to use.
    But unfortunately I could retrieve the present date using NOW().....
    can anyone help me or suggest me any code model for this kind of application?
    thanks in advance...
    reagrds,
    satya.

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: wish to make a Birthday reminder!!

    Why not use conditional formatting under the format menu and skip the code.

    If not familiar see Debra Dalgleish's site:
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
    Tom Ogilvy

    "kiran1810" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: wish to make a Birthday reminder!!

    Kiran, I have a sheet set up for birthdays, if you want to take a look at it
    let me know and I will send you a copy
    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

  4. #4
    JNW
    Guest

    RE: wish to make a Birthday reminder!!

    If you want to use code try the following:

    1. In cell D1 of your worksheet place the formula =today()
    2. Place the following in the workbook open event under "ThisWorkbook"

    Private Sub Workbook_Open ()
    Dim FriendBDay As Date

    With Sheets("Sheet1")
    ''''This assumes that you have the birthdays listed in Column A and your
    friends' names in column B
    FriendBDay = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(.Range("D1"),
    ..Range("A:B"), 2, False)
    End With

    If FriendBDay <> "#N/A" Then
    MsgBox "Today is " & FriendBDay & "'s birthday!"

    This won't work if you have 2 or more friends who share the same birthday as
    it will only return the first name it finds.

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: wish to make a Birthday reminder!!

    Think you will get an error if Vlookup fails. Have you tested this? It
    worked for you when .Range("D1") was not found in column A?

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    JNW
    Guest

    Re: wish to make a Birthday reminder!!

    Hadn't thought about that...

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Oldjay
    Guest

    Re: wish to make a Birthday reminder!!

    Could you send me a copy?

    [email protected]

    oldjay

  8. #8
    India
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: wish to make a Birthday reminder!!

    Can anyone post me the copy how to write birthday reminder. I have gather data of my frd birthday date. Now, I need to read birthday date from the excel sheet and email birthday reminders to all members except that guy. I want to run this program automatically on every night at 12am.

  9. #9
    Forum Expert
    germany
    MS-Off Ver
    XL2003 / 2007 / 2010
    Posts
    6,326

    Re: wish to make a Birthday reminder!!

    Your post does not comply with Rule 2 of our Forum RULES. Don't post a question in the thread of another member -- start your own thread. If you feel it's particularly relevant, provide a link to the other thread.

Closed Thread