Displaying Cell Value in UserForm Label

  1. #1
    Frank & Pam Hayes
    Guest

    Displaying Cell Value in UserForm Label

    I have created an Excel Add-In that formerly displayed the add-in's version
    and date in a message box based on values in one of the add-ins worksheets
    using the following (where A1 contained the version number and A2 contained
    the date last updated):

    Sub DisplayVersion

    Msgbox "Version "&Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1")& _
    " updated on "&Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A2")

    End Sub

    I am trying to move this function to a UserForm but can not figure out how
    to get data from a worksheet into a string of text in a label within the
    UserForm. Can someone point me to an example?

    Thank you,

    Frank Hayes

  2. #2

    Re: Displaying Cell Value in UserForm Label

    Hi
    Not tested but...
    If you have a Label on the form called Label1 then in the
    Userform_Initialize sub (double click the form while editing and scroll
    to this event) write

    Label1.Caption = "Version "&
    ThisWorkBook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1")& _
    " updated on "&ThisWorkBook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A2")

    I put in the ThisWorkBook bit as it would use the Active workbook
    otherwise.

    regards
    Paul

  3. #3
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Displaying Cell Value in UserForm Label

    Hi Frank,

    Try:

    Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
    With Worksheets("Sheet1")
    Label1.Caption = "Version " & .Range("A1") & _
    " updated on " & .Range("A2")
    End With
    End Sub

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

  4. #4
    Frank & Pam Hayes
    Guest

    Re: Displaying Cell Value in UserForm Label

    Thank you both for the solutions. I really appreciate it.

    Frank

  5. #5
    Frank & Pam Hayes
    Guest

    Re: Displaying Cell Value in UserForm Label

    This solution works fine in a regular workbook, but when I save it as an XLA
    add-in file I get an error of the Worksheets Object. Any ideas?

    Frank

  6. #6
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Displaying Cell Value in UserForm Label

    Hi Frank,

    What code are you using to display the userform and where is that code
    placed?

    What line of code is highlighted when your error occurs?

    ---

  7. #7
    Frank & Pam Hayes
    Guest

    Re: Displaying Cell Value in UserForm Label

    Norman,

    My form name is AboutThis. I am calling it with the following subroutine:

    Sub AboutThisForm()
    AboutThis.Show
    Unload About.This
    End Sub

    This code is placed in a module of the XLA file and is called via a custom
    toolbar button that executes the AboutThisForm macro.

    When the error occurs, the AboutThis.Show line is highlighted.

    The exact error reads: Run Time Error '9': Subscript out of range.

    Thanks,

    Frank

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Displaying Cell Value in UserForm Label

    Hi Frank,

    I regret to say that I have been unable to reproduce your problem.

    To replicate the relevant elements of your scenario, I created an addin with
    a useform. I added the previously suggested UserForm_Initialize code. In a
    standard module, I added your AboutThisForm code. I attached a toolbar to
    the addin and assigned the AboutThisForm macro to a toolbar button.

    The code ran without problem when invoked by the button.

    Two inccidental points:

    I assume that the dot in
    > Unload About.This

    is a typo.

    In the form's initialize code, I changed

    >> With Worksheets("Sheet1")

    With Thisworkbook.Sheets("Sheet1")

    ---

  9. #9
    Frank & Pam Hayes
    Guest

    Re: Displaying Cell Value in UserForm Label

    Norman ... you fixed my problem! Changing

    With Worksheets("Sheet1")
    With Thisworkbook.Sheets("Sheet1")

    corrected the error I was getting. I think it is going to be a long time
    until I have mastered the nuances of VBA.

    I truely appreciate all the time and effort you put into troubleshooting my
    code. Thank you.