Playing sound in VBA

  1. #1
    Pete
    Guest

    Playing sound in VBA

    Hi
    Somebody please help.
    I had a look at John Walkenbach's site and copied off some code to play a
    wave file.
    I run Excel 2003 under Windows XP Home
    I can play the different sounds perfectly when clicking on the various wave
    files (it automatically launches Windows Media Player)

    However when I run the code below I get the same dull 'clunck' no matter
    what wave file I put in (WAVFile) - its always the same!
    I did do a search for "winmm.dll" but could not locate it on my system. Is
    this the problem or am I doing something else wrong?
    Is there perhaps a library that I need to tick off?
    I also tried running the code on another PC with the same result.

    Desperate Pete

    '=============================
    Option Explicit
    Private Declare Function PlaySound Lib "winmm.dll" (ByVal lpszName As
    String, _
    ByVal hModule As Long, ByVal dwFlags As Long) As Long
    Const SND_SYNC = &H0
    Const SND_ASYNC = &H1
    Const SND_FILENAME = &H20000

    Sub PlayWAV()
    Dim WAVFile As String
    If Not Application.CanPlaySounds Then
    MsgBox "Sorry, sound is not supported on your system."
    Else
    WAVFile = "C:\Windows\Media\Microsoft Office 2000\Chimes.wav"
    Call PlaySound(WAVFile, 0&, SND_ASYNC Or SND_FILENAME)
    '============================

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Playing sound in VBA

    Maybe a long shot, but try this slight variation

    Option Explicit
    Private Declare Function PlaySound Lib "winmm.dll" ( _
    ByVal lpszName As String, _
    ByVal hModule As Long, ByVal dwFlags As Long) As Long
    Const SND_SYNC = &H0
    Const SND_ASYNC = &H1
    Const SND_FILENAME = &H20000

    Sub PlayWAV()
    Dim WAVFile As String
    If Not Application.CanPlaySounds Then
    MsgBox "Sorry, sound is not supported on your system."
    Else
    WAVFile = "C:\Windows\Media\Microsoft Office 2000\Chimes.wav"
    Call PlaySound(WAVFile, 0&, SND_ASYNC Or SND_FILENAME)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: Playing sound in VBA

    'Fraid it made no difference. Thanks for trying, Bob.

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Playing sound in VBA

    Hi Pete,
    See if this helps, been a long time since I've played with it
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/code/beeps.txt

    Actually starts from my funstuff.htm#sounds_xl a non indexed
    page in my Excel directory.
    ---
    HTH,