Sorting multiple columns as one

  1. #1
    Randy
    Guest

    Sorting multiple columns as one

    Hi, what I want to do is sort multiple columns as one range. Example here is
    sorting descending on B, F, and I
    col a colb col c col e col f col g col h col i
    col j
    Name Score Rank Name Score Rank Name Score Rank

    Fred 7 3 Art 6 4 George
    8 2
    Norma 4 5 Dumdum 1 6 Zeek 9
    1

    The results i want are a down then across sort:

    Zeek 9 1 Fred 7 3 Norma 4
    5
    George 8 2 Art 6 4 Dumdum 1 6

    Currently I have a separate part of the sheet where I build all the names in
    one column, sort them, and then just have the final table reference them in
    sequence. The Rank determines the rank in the one column sorted table. This
    is done with macros but real VBA is ok.

    I guess the question(s) are: Can I do a multi-column sort and can the Rank
    function handle multiple ranges?

    Thanks
    --

    Randy

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Sorting multiple columns as one

    Using your secondary table is probably the easiest way.

    Of couse you could sort, rank and write the data back all in code.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...