Delta

  1. #1
    Shatin
    Guest

    Delta

    I was reading about the delta function -- an engineering function available
    from the analysis toolpak -- in a book and wanted to try it on a worksheet.
    However, after typing =delta in a cell, I pressed ENTER by mistake without
    entering the arguments. Surprising, the number -178323444 appeared in the
    cell. Seems that delta = -178323444 is some kind of constant. Anyone knows
    what it is exactly?

    I am using Excel 2003.

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Delta

    Looks like it has to do with the internal workings of the Analysis Tookpak
    VBA. Perhaps an offset into the DLL.

    Run this code with a blank sheet active:

    Sub ABBB()
    Set nme = Workbooks("ATPVBAEN.XLA").Names
    i = 2
    Range("A1:B1").Value = Array("Name", "Refers To")
    For Each nm In nme
    Cells(i, 1) = nm.Name
    Cells(i, 2) = "'" & nm.RefersTo
    i = i + 1
    Next

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Delta

    And you can do this:

    Sub AC()
    Workbooks("ATPVBAEN.XLA").Sheets("REG").Copy After:= _
    ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(Activeworkbook.sheets.count)
    End Sub

    Then you can look at the defined names that come with it.

  4. #4
    Shatin
    Guest

    Re: Delta

    Tom,

    I can't run your code -- both Sub ABBB() and Sub AC():

    Runtime error '9': Subscript out of range

    news:%23Ho%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Delta

    Do you have an english version of the Analysis Toolpak VBA installed?

  6. #6
    Shatin
    Guest

    Re: Delta

    I've just installed it and can run your code now. Thanks!

  7. #7
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Delta

    That would indicate the actual defined name DELTA is coming from the
    Analysis Toolpak (funcreas.xla as I recall) itself, so you might try
    something similar with that.