Unable to set FormulaArray property of the Range class

  1. #1

    Unable to set FormulaArray property of the Range class

    I am trying to update cell formulas (R1C1) using the FormulaArray
    property and I noticed that if the cell formulas contains more than
    one references to external workbooks, I will get this "Unable to set
    FormulaArray property of the Range class" error message.

    For example:
    Suppose I want to update cells A1 and C3 with the following formulas
    respectively:
    ='\\someserver\somewhere\[file_1.xls]Sheet1'!R1C1
    ='\\someserver\somewhere\[file_1.xls]Sheet1'!R3C3

    The following code will work and the formulas will be inserted into
    cells A1 and A3.
    Dim strFormulas() as String
    Redim strFormulas(1 to 3, 1 to 3)
    Range(Cells(1,1), Cells(1,3).FormulaArray = strFormulas

    However, if I use a formula such as the following that has more than
    one external references, I will get an error message.
    ='\\someserver\somewhere\[file_1.xls]Sheet1'!R1C1+'\\someserver\somewhere\[file_1.xls]Sheet1'!R10C10

    It looks to me this is some kind of bug in Excel VBA because the
    formulas I'm trying to insert is valid and all external references are
    fine.

    It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can provide a solution to
    this issue.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Unable to set FormulaArray property of the Range class

    Your string is 100 characters, so I assume it is only representative of the
    string you are trying to use. FormulaArray will only accept a string of 255
    characters - so perhaps that is your problem.

    I haven't tried it, but put in a dummy sheet named AB C (with a space)

    then put in your array formula in code using something like

    "='AB C'!R1C1+'AB C'!R10C10"

    then in your code use the range Find method to replace AB C with the
    external file argument
    \\someserver\somewhere\[file_1.xls]Sheet1

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Unable to set FormulaArray property of the Range class

    On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:08:45 -0400, "Tom Ogilvy" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Your string is 100 characters, so I assume it is only representative of the
    >string you are trying to use. FormulaArray will only accept a string of 255
    >characters - so perhaps that is your problem.
    >
    >I haven't tried it, but put in a dummy sheet named AB C (with a space)
    >
    >then put in your array formula in code using something like
    >
    >"='AB C'!R1C1+'AB C'!R10C10"
    >
    >then in your code use the range Find method to replace AB C with the
    >external file argument
    >\\someserver\somewhere\[file_1.xls]Sheet1

    Thanks for the quick reply.
    And you are right about the maximum string length.