how to redim the type of variant element

  1. #1
    lvcha.gouqizi
    Guest

    how to redim the type of variant element

    Hi there,

    I define a dynamic array as
    Dim myDyn() as Variant

    Is there any way to redim its element type as String?

    The reason that I need to do this is because when I pass myDyn(1) to a
    function whose parameter is String, it reports "ByRef argument type
    mismatch". I am wondering if this is the reason.

    Any other suggestion to avoid this bug report?

    Thank,
    lvcha

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: how to redim the type of variant element

    Just change the data type to String

    Dim myDyn() As String

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    lvcha.gouqizi
    Guest

    Re: how to redim the type of variant element

    But how about this is a two dimension array of mixed data types?

    My myDyn is like this

    myDyn(1, index) are String, and
    myDyn(2, index) are Date

  4. #4
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: how to redim the type of variant element

    If the original Variant type is necessary (which it usually is not) and you
    can not change it to string then you can use the CStr() function to change
    the variable type just as you pass the argument...Something like...

    Ucase(cstr(myDyn(1))
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: how to redim the type of variant element

    Just do an explicit conversion in the call to the function or change the
    function to expect a variant. I provided you a detailed answer in response
    to your first posting of this question.

    Tom Ogivly

  6. #6
    lvcha.gouqizi
    Guest

    Re: how to redim the type of variant element

    thanks, I got it there