Any idea?

  1. #1

    Any idea?

    I'm not really sure how to explain this but I’m creating something for work that will help us keep a record of computers that need to be worked on. I already have the calculations for the number of days it's been in the store. However, I want to now how to set it up so it will auto fill a lot of columns to make it easier for me. I want to be able to insert the clients name and then it will automatically insert the date I checked it in, and keep it there so i can do calculations later for the numbers of days we have had it in.
    Last edited by nempo; 10-27-2005 at 07:31 PM.

  2. #2
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: Any idea?

    It sounds like you want to timestamp the entry of the Clients name. See
    the following link on the subject:

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  3. #3

    umm

    I can't seem to get it to work. I went to that site and i insert the code

    =IF(A1="","",IF(B1="",NOW(),B1))

    I inserted it into C1, but when I have "cat" in B1 it won't display anything until I put something into A1. Then it will paste whatever is in B1 to C1. I want it to look at A1 and if something is inserted into it B1 will output the m/d/year and keep that date there. I know the site you gave me is probably correct, but I can't get it to work. Please help thanks

  4. #4
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: Any idea?

    It is actually a circular reference so you need to place the formula in
    B1. First set iteration Tools>Options>Calculation> check the iteration box.
    Then insert the formula in B1. Also if you just want the date and not
    the time then I would change the formula slightly to:
    =IF(A1="","",IF(B1="",TODAY(),B1))

    Hope this helps
    Rowan