facing formula problem

  1. #1
    thinkpic
    Guest

    facing formula problem

    Hi everyone. This is my first post. I am a relatively new user of excel.
    I am able to devise simple formula {eg. =sum(A1+B1)] but I now have the
    need for something way outside my ability and I was hoping someone
    might be able to help.

    I am developing a spreadsheet to monitor share trading. I want one of
    the fields to represent the current imputed per annum percentage gain
    or loss of a trade. In other words I have bought but not yet sold the
    shares but I want to know what itheir p.a. percentage increase or
    decrease would be if I sold today at their current price.

    In simple terms here is an example of the problem I want a formula to
    solve:

    I buy a stock for $200 on Sept 1. On Oct1 it is worth $210. Obviously
    it has gone up by 5% over 30 days but what would its current per annum
    percentage rise be. The answere would be 5 divided by 30/365ths or
    aprox 60%.

    This is even getting complicated for my math but I have no idea how to
    express this problem as a formula - particularly when it comes to
    calculating the number of days. I assume that the computer clock/date
    can be used in the equation but I have no idea how. Even when I
    calculate the day/year fraction manually I have no idea how to write
    the formula to calculate the percentage.

    The only fields in the spreadsheet that I am hoping to use are: Column
    A = Purchase date; B = purchase price; C = current price. (Hopefully
    the computer knows the current date).

    Can this be done?If so could anyone please please please give me the
    formula?

    --
    thinkpic
    thinkpic's Profile: http://www.hightechtalks.com/m175

  2. #2
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    re: facing formula problem

    Assuming your data is in row 2 try this formula in Cell D2:
    =((C2-B2)/B2)/((TODAY()-A2)/356)

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

    PS you would be better off posting this type of question in
    microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions