Vlookup top to bottom & not left to right

  1. #1
    Les Stout
    Guest

    Vlookup top to bottom & not left to right

    Hi all, is it possible to look up a number on the top of the sheet,
    let's say a1, b1, c1,d1,etc.. and get the value in the last used cell of
    the column or must one copy and past them left to right ??

    thanks in advance,

    Les Stout

  2. #2
    Mike Mertes
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup top to bottom & not left to right

    Did you try HLookup?

    -Mike

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup top to bottom & not left to right

    find the column

    =Match("Price",A1:Z1,0)

    once you have the column then

    Use a number larger than any in the column (assume you are looking at
    numbers)
    match(999999999999,F1:F500,1)

    so

    Putting it all together:

    =OFFSET($A$1,MATCH(999999,OFFSET($A$1,1,MATCH("Price",$B$1:$Z$1),500,1),1),M
    ATCH("Price",$B$1:$Z$1))

    Tom Ogilvy

  4. #4
    Les Stout
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup top to bottom & not left to right

    Thanks mike.

    Les Stout

  5. #5
    Les Stout
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup top to bottom & not left to right

    Thanks Tom, will try it in the morning.

    best regards,

    Les Stout

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup top to bottom & not left to right

    I guess you said a number in the first row rather than a text header, so
    just replace the "Price" with a number

    =OFFSET($A$1,MATCH(999999,OFFSET($A$1,1,MATCH(321,$B$1:$Z$1,0),500,1),1),M
    ATCH(321,$B$1:$Z$1,0))

    also in those two match formulas, I forgot to put the third argument in
    which should be a zero (0). that would be true for text or number.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:Om5mGR%[email protected]...