beginner question

  1. #1
    Roshintosh
    Guest

    beginner question

    I'm a programmer, and I've got an excel problem to solve.

    To simplify, Imagine I have a sheet as follows

    A B C D E
    1 car house tree
    2 horse table dog
    3 bike bat window

    The solution requires me to read every row and then process it

    e.g in pseudocode

    READ FIRST ROW (car, house, tree)
    DO UNTIL END OF SHEET
    CALL PROCEDURE (passing the 3 column values as parameters)
    READ ROW
    LOOP

    What I need is some sample code to replace the pseudocode.

    Apologies for the beginner question, and any answer is much
    appreciated.

    cheers
    Roshintosh

  2. #2
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: beginner question

    One way:

    Sub test()
    Dim eRow As Long
    Dim i As Long
    Dim str1 As String
    Dim str2 As String
    Dim str3 As String
    eRow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row 'finds last used row
    For i = 1 To eRow
    str1 = Cells(i, 1).Value
    str2 = Cells(i, 2).Value
    str3 = Cells(i, 3).Value
    Call Other(str1, str2, str3)
    Next i
    End Sub

    Sub Other(val1 As String, val2 As String, val3 As String)
    MsgBox "Values are: " & val1 & ", " & val2 & ", " & val3
    End Sub

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  3. #3
    Alvin
    Guest

    RE: beginner question

    range("a1").select
    while selection.value<>""
    yourFunction selection.offset(0,0).value, _
    selection.offset(0,1).value, _
    selection.offset(0,2).value
    selection.offset(1,0).select
    wend