Compare and align columns of data

  1. #1
    JGouger
    Guest

    Compare and align columns of data

    I have two large files that I've combined into one sheet. They both list
    account numbers and amounts charged. The account numbers could be the same
    in both lists or could be in one list but not the other. I want to compare
    the account numbers which would be in columns A & C. If they are the same I
    want to move down and compare the next row. If the account number is in
    column A but not column C I want to insert cells into C & D, then drop down
    and compare the next row. If the account number is in C but not A I want to
    insert cells into A&B and drop down to the next row and continue.

    Before
    A B C D
    a/n
    1 1.00 1 10.00
    3 2.00 2 11.00
    5 3.00 3 12.00
    7 4.00 6 13.00

    After
    A B C D
    1 1.00 1 10.00
    2 11.00
    3 2.00 3 12.00
    5 3.00
    6 13.00
    7 4.00

    I have never mastered the macro functions in Excel. I used to be able to do
    this in Lotus. Any help would be appreaciated

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Compare and align columns of data

    Hi,

    HTH. Assumes data starts in row 1; change initial value of i and j
    as required.

    Sub Transform()

    Dim i As Long, j As Long

    i = 1
    j = 1

    Do While (Cells(i, 1) <> "") And (Cells(j, 3) <> "")
    If Cells(i, 1) > Cells(j, 3) Then
    Range(Cells(i, 1), Cells(i, 2)).Insert shift:=xlDown
    Else
    If Cells(i, 1) < Cells(j, 3) Then
    Range(Cells(i, 3), Cells(i, 4)).Insert shift:=xlDown

    i = i + 1
    j = j + 1

    Loop

    End Sub

  3. #3

    Re: Compare and align columns of data

    Try this against a copy of your worksheet--just in case!

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme()

    Application.ScreenUpdating = False

    Dim wks As Worksheet
    Dim ColA As Range
    Dim ColC As Range
    Dim iRow As Long

    Set wks = Worksheets("sheet1")
    wks.DisplayPageBreaks = False
    With wks
    Set ColA = .Range("a1", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))
    Set ColC = .Range("c1", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "c").End(xlUp))

    With ColA.Resize(, 2)
    .Sort key1:=.Cells(1), order1:=xlAscending, header:=xlNo
    End With

    With ColC.Resize(, 2)
    .Sort key1:=.Cells(1), order1:=xlAscending, header:=xlNo
    End With

    iRow = 1
    Do
    If Application.CountA(.Cells(iRow, "A"), .Cells(iRow, "C")) = 0 _
    Then
    Exit Do
    End If

    If .Cells(iRow, "A").Value = .Cells(iRow, "c").Value _
    Or Application.CountA(.Cells(iRow, "A"), .Cells(iRow, "C")) = 1 _
    Then
    'do nothing
    Else
    If .Cells(iRow, "A").Value > .Cells(iRow, "c").Value Then
    .Cells(iRow, "A").Resize(1, 2).Insert shift:=xlDown
    Else
    .Cells(iRow, "c").Resize(1, 2).Insert shift:=xlDown
    iRow = iRow + 1
    Loop
    End With

    Application.ScreenUpdating = True