Removing Data

  1. #1
    Bill
    Guest

    Removing Data

    Hello,
    I have large sets of data where I would like to remove points that are
    certain distance from the average. Right now, I go through each cell and
    compare that value to the critical value. If it is more than the critical
    value, I delete that cell. It takes forever. Is there a quicker way?

    Thanks,

    Bill

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Removing Data

    there may be a quicker way to do what your doing.

    If you want to use a dummy column, it could be done with formulas. Even if
    you want it done inplace, you could use formulas and then clear the dummy
    column after deleting the cells.

    insert a column next to the data.

    assume the first value is in F2

    in the inserted G2 put in

    =if(F2>Limit,na(),F2)
    drag fill this down the column

    Select Column G2 and do edit=>goto Special, select Formulas and Errors.

    Do Edit =>Delete and select entire row.

    If you want to only delete the cells and not the row, then post back.

    Now delete row G.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...