I have a formula challenge

  1. #1

    Can I use a formula or do I need to use a macro?

    I need a formula for excel that can do the following:

    I am from a drilling company and we have to price drill bit replacements into your bids. The number of feet before the bit needs to be replaced will be given. Then from the total depth drilled we calculate the number of bits needed and round that number up.

    I need to calculate the number of hours required to remove the drill bits after each of them is unusable.

    For example: Total footage to drill 2000’; bit footage before replacement 500’, which is 4 bits. I am assuming it takes 100ft/hr to remove the drill pipe with the drill bit.

    Bit Depth Hrs
    1 500 5
    2 1000 10
    3 1500 15
    4 2000 20
    Totals Hrs = 50

    How do I use an excel formula to calculate total hours required to remove all of the bits with just the 100ft/hr, # of bits, and footage before bit replacement?
    Last edited by mgmcdevitt; 11-22-2005 at 01:00 PM.

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: I have a formula challenge

    Hi,
    If N=Number of bits then

    N*(N+1)/2 * 500/100 = Number of hours

    In your example: 4 *(4+1)/2 *500/100= 50 hours

    Or more generally

    N*(N+1)/2* Footage per bit/Removal rate per hour

    So if a1=N, B1=Footage per bit, c1=Removal rate per hour then Hours (say) in
    D1

    = A1*(A1+1)/2*(B1/C1)