Need formula to calculate lenght of a roll. I have all info.

  1. #1
    Marc
    Guest

    Need formula to calculate lenght of a roll. I have all info.

    My company often needs to know how much material there is on a particular
    roll and seeing as some of them are over 500 feet in lenght when they get
    here, rolling them out is not an option.

    Using the following example, I would appreciate if you could tell me whether
    this can be formulated or if I need to do this in vba.

    This is what I did to measure one, as you can see it's effective but
    impractical.

    Total diameter - 210 mm, Core diameter (there is no material in here) 89mm,
    Thickness of material 0.25mm.

    I started by calculating the radius (105mm) minus the core's radius 45mm)
    giving me a useable radius of 60mm. Divided that by .25 giving me 240
    "loops" around the core.

    This is where it gets impractical. I created 240 cells where each cell in
    column A would be Pi*Diameter, and increasing the diameter by .5mm every
    cell, representing the added thickness of .25mm on both sides of the core.
    Then added all 240 cells giving me the total length in material.

    I know in VBA I could use a loop function and it would be fine, but I'm
    really hoping I can have it as a 1line formula that takes the information
    entered in various cells and calculate on the spot.

    Am I dreaming? Help is much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Need formula to calculate lenght of a roll. I have all info.

    Can't you just take the outer and the inner one and average the others? You
    then don't have to bother about the number of layers, at least not in the
    number of cells you need.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Marc
    Guest

    Re: Need formula to calculate lenght of a roll. I have all info.

    Not sure I understand.

    The inner is 188.49, the outer is 563.92. Are you saying that I take the
    average of thsoe 2 numbers which is 376.205? If So it's close, but the
    actual lenght was 355 and that 20 feet could make a difference. I'm looking
    for something as exact as possible but I'm seriously impressed with how close
    that was

  4. #4
    Charlie
    Guest

    Re: Need formula to calculate lenght of a roll. I have all info.

    Google "calculating length of a spiral" for a formula

  5. #5
    Alok
    Guest

    Re: Need formula to calculate lenght of a roll. I have all info.

    I did what Charlie suggested to you and found this useful link. It has the
    exact formula that you need.

    http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../math99015.htm

    Alok

  6. #6
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Need formula to calculate lenght of a roll. I have all info.

    You seem to have started with a diameter of 60. Shouldn't that be 90?

    I'll think a bit more about a simpler but exact formula

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Need formula to calculate lenght of a roll. I have all info.

    That seems to confirm my approach of taking the average. Unless something
    else comes up, I'll stop trying to find something more clever!

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...