Disable Cut, Paste, Drag & Drop in Protected Workbook

  1. #1
    Andrew Stevens
    Guest

    Disable Cut, Paste, Drag & Drop in Protected Workbook

    I have a protected Excel 2003 workbook with multiple protected worksheets.
    Protection is set so that users can only select and edit unprotected cells.
    The workbook is used by a number of people but it is not shared (each uses
    their own).
    Occasionally (I think unknowingly) someone will either cut and paste or drag
    and drop a cells or cells which fouls hidden formulae. It doesn't cause
    critical damage, but it's a nuisance when it happens. I was wondering if it
    was possible to
    a) disable cut and paste at the workbook or worksheet level; and
    b) disable drag and drop at the workbook or worksheet level (not the
    Application level)
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

  2. #2
    JNW
    Guest

    RE: Disable Cut, Paste, Drag & Drop in Protected Workbook

    Isn't that the purpose of protecting the sheets. Check to make sure when you
    are protecting each sheet that it disables the actions you are referring to.
    I believe xl2003 has a lot of options as to what you can and cannot allow
    after protected.

  3. #3
    Gee-off
    Guest

    RE: Disable Cut, Paste, Drag & Drop in Protected Workbook

    Each sheet within a workbook has to be protected individually. When you
    select the protection for that worksheet, a dialog box will pop up and you,
    the workbook administator, can select to either lock all cells, or only allow
    the option to select unlocked cells only. The catch to this is, I have found
    it easiest to highlight the entire sheet (only the cells where the data is
    stored) and right click the highlighted area. Click "Format Cells...", then
    select the "Protection Tab". One there I always click through the "Locked"
    box between the filled in box, the checked box, and the empty box. The I
    click again until it has a check mark, thus indicating that all the cells are
    indeed locked. then i go back to the sheet and select only the cells that I
    want the user to be able to select. Follow the same process, only this time
    leaving the "Locked" box with nothing in it (not filled in or checked). Go
    back to your sheet and go to the protection option under Tools. Only check
    the "Select Unlocked Cells" then hit ok and enter you password. Re-enter the
    password and you are set. I hope this helps.

  4. #4
    Andrew Stevens
    Guest

    RE: Disable Cut, Paste, Drag & Drop in Protected Workbook

    Thanks for your response. Perhaps I didn't word the question very well, I've
    already done everything that you suggested. The problem isn't about with how
    to protect and unprotect cells though, it's about users accidentally either
    cutting or dragging cells within the unprotected area of the protected sheet
    which then fouls formulae stored in protected cells within the sheet (and
    workbook). I'm aware that you can disable the drag function in the
    options/edit dialog box, or by using Application.CellDragAndDrop = False, but
    this is at the application level and will impact on all open workbooks which
    isn't what I want. It also doesn't stop users cutting and pasting. I've used
    Excel for many years but I'm very much a novice when it comes to VB. I was
    wondering if there was a VB solution to the problem.
    Thanks again.

  5. #5
    JNW
    Guest

    RE: Disable Cut, Paste, Drag & Drop in Protected Workbook

    You could place the following in the "ThisWorkbook" module

    Private Sub Workbook_Activate()
    Application.CellDragAndDrop = False
    End Sub

    Private Sub Workbook_Deactivate()
    Application.CellDragAndDrop = True
    End Sub

    With the above code everytime the workbook is activated then no dragging of
    cells is allowed. But as soon as the workbook is deactivated (i.e. another
    workbook is activated) then the user will be able to drag and drop on that
    workbook.

    I don't know how to disable the cut and paste, but you may look at disabling
    certain keys on the keyboard to prevent it, also take a look at the before
    right click events.

    JNW