Comparison of modules

  1. #1
    Lon Sarnoff
    Guest

    Comparison of modules

    Is there any way to automatically compare line-by-line the contents of two
    modules from two different workbooks, in a way similar to the document
    comparison functions within word processors?
    --
    Lon Sarnoff

  2. #2
    Lon Sarnoff
    Guest

    RE: Comparison of modules

    I feel silly responding to my own post. But I just realized that I can
    export the modules and then compare them within the word processor. Is there
    any way of doing it without exiting Excel?
    --
    Lon Sarnoff

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Comparison of modules

    You could export the modules from VBA, and then read them back in as text
    files, comparing as you go. The problem with that is knowing when a fatal
    mis-match occurs, you would have to code all of that. Other programs tend to
    already have that sort of comparison facility built-in (I use Textpad).

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Comparison of modules

    Lon,
    Whilst it does not compare the text directly, this add-on is useful:
    http://www.mztools.com/

    Also, TextPad has an ASP syntax file that you could extend to cover you
    needs in VB/VBA:
    http://www.textpad.com/

    NickHK

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Comparison of modules

    You can also get a VB syntax file, and it would be no great difficulty to
    extend that for VBA/Excel.

    RP

    news:uxY$IJ9%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Comparison of modules

    Bob,
    I couldn't find the VB syntax file.
    Got a link ?

    NickHK

    news:uXqR4q9%[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Comparison of modules

    Hi Nick,

    I have 4,

    http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/files/vb.zip

    http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/files/vb5.zip

    http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/files/svb.zip

    http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/files/visual_basic.zip

    The last is VB6 specific.

    They even have VB.Net and VBScript syntax files.

    RP

    news:OiNXcu9%[email protected]...

  8. #8
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Comparison of modules

    Bob,
    Thanks, but seem to have moved. Now at:
    http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/files...sual_basic.zip

    etc...

    NickHK

    news:OUhaA29%[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Comparison of modules

    Sorry, that was my typo, I had to type them as downloads have no URL to
    copy.

    RP

    news:eVwg$H%23%[email protected]...