excel help, color coding rows

  1. #1
    darkdred
    Guest

    excel help, color coding rows

    Hi, I am a newbie when it comes to using excel. I know nothing about codes or
    formatting, or even the right terminology for each box/section/row (I hope i
    chose the right discussion group for this)

    Right now, I am using excel in a very simple way. I have a list of columns
    across the top that go from A to P, each with a different heading. Then down
    on the left, I am up to line 190. I am not doing any calculations, only text
    like names, ph #'s, email address, contact info, notes, dates, etc.

    1) how far down do you go before switching to sheet 2 or 3?

    2) how much info is too much for one excel sheet?

    3)how do i either:

    a) color code the entire row (eg. line 5, A - P) without seperately
    configuring each column (A - P) with it's own color? [I've been right
    clicking on a box (eg. A5), clicking "format cells", then "patterns", then
    choosing a color, then copying and pasting it all the way down in the boxes i
    want it, and repeating these steps for columns B - P]

    b) color code alternate lines for easy visibility? [note: i found out how to
    highlight every 2nd row, but this does not help me, as some sections are 2
    rows down, some are 3, 4, etc.] eg A-P lines 18-19 is one grouping, whereas
    A-P lines 21-25 is another.

    Sorry, I hope this makes sense to someone. I tried to be as exact as possible.

  2. #2
    Steve
    Guest

    Re: excel help, color coding rows

    I'd be guessing about questions 1 & 2

    Conditional formatting will take care of your alternate line shading.

    Select all cells on your spreadsheet (click the small grey box above the row
    numbering and to the left of column lettering)
    1) Click Format
    2) Click Conditional Formatting
    3) Change the drop-down box on the left to 'Fromula Is'
    4) In the text box next to it enter '=MOD(ROW(),2)=1' (without the quotes)
    5) Click the [format] button
    6) Choose a format
    7) Click OK

    Start experimenting with different border and pattern combinations until you
    find something you like.

    Alternatively, if alternate line shading is something you plan to do often,
    look for Arron Blood's ledger shade add-in on this link:
    http://www.xl-logic.com/pages/addins.html

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Lonnie M.
    Guest

    Re: excel help, color coding rows

    Hi, hope this gets you started:

    1) & 2) There are 65,536 rows and 256 columns in an excel worksheet.

    3) Look at these links for some help with selecting and coloring the
    rows:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/cformatting.htm

    Regards--Lonnie M.

  4. #4
    darkdred
    Guest

    Re: excel help, color coding rows

    WOW! That's alot of rows and columns. So I shouldn't change my sheets? :-)
    I'll have to check out those links sometime.
    Thanks.

  5. #5
    darkdred
    Guest

    Re: excel help, color coding rows

    Just to clarify: if I enter that formula, how will the shading appear?
    Different on every 2nd row?
    By the way guys, thanks for all your help. While I was waiting, I did some
    experimenting, and I learned alot about how to do color shading, deleting of
    rows and columns, etc., so for now, i'm good, but i'll try to check out the
    links you gave.
    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: excel help, color coding rows

    this will format every other row in blue and put grid lines around each cell
    from column A thru D for the number of rows on your sheet

    Option Explicit
    Dim lastrow As Long
    Dim rng As Range
    Sub Format_rows()

    lastrow = Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    ' Conditional Formatting
    Set rng = Range("A1:D" & lastrow)
    With rng
    .FormatConditions.Delete
    .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:= _
    "=MOD(ROW(),2)=1"
    End With
    With rng.FormatConditions(1).Borders(xlLeft)
    .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Weight = xlThin
    .ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
    End With
    With rng.FormatConditions(1).Borders(xlRight)
    .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Weight = xlThin
    .ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
    End With
    With rng.FormatConditions(1).Borders(xlTop)
    .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Weight = xlThin
    .ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
    End With
    With rng.FormatConditions(1).Borders(xlBottom)
    .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Weight = xlThin
    .ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
    End With
    rng.FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 37

    rng.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:= _
    "=MOD(ROW(),2)=0"
    With rng.FormatConditions(2).Borders(xlLeft)
    .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Weight = xlThin
    .ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
    End With
    With rng.FormatConditions(2).Borders(xlRight)
    .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Weight = xlThin
    .ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
    End With
    With rng.FormatConditions(2).Borders(xlTop)
    .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Weight = xlThin
    .ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
    End With
    With rng.FormatConditions(2).Borders(xlBottom)
    .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    .Weight = xlThin
    .ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
    End With
    rng.FormatConditions(2).Interior.ColorIndex = 2

    Gary

  7. #7
    Steve
    Guest

    Re: excel help, color coding rows

    Yes, it colours every second row but, the best way to work it all out is to
    experiment.