Macro to record user name and date/time

  1. #1
    Maddoktor
    Guest

    Macro to record user name and date/time

    Is it possible to record a macro that when someone on the network opens my
    workbook that it records the user's name, time and date on a hidden
    protected worksheet?

    Can this then be expanded further by if the user then changes something,
    either adds, modify, or delete information from my workbook then the user's
    name, date, time and changes (including worksheet name, cell co-ordinates
    (i.e. A1) and information modified from and modified too) are recorded on a
    hidden protected worksheet?

    Thanx in advance.

    Maddoktor

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Macro to record user name and date/time

    Option Explicit

    Private iNextRow As Long
    Const HIDDEN_SHEET As String = "hidden"

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    With Worksheets(HIDDEN_SHEET)
    .Range("A1").Value = Environ("UserName")
    .Range("B1").Value = Format(Date + Time, "dd mmm yyyy hh:mm:ss")
    End With
    iNextRow = 2

    End Sub

    Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
    On Error GoTo wb_exit
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Sh.Name <> HIDDEN_SHEET Then
    With Worksheets(HIDDEN_SHEET)
    .Range("A" & iNextRow).Value = Environ("UserName")
    .Range("B" & iNextRow).Value = Format(Date + Time, "dd mmm yyyy
    hh:mm:ss")
    End With
    End If

    wb_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    End Sub

    'This is workbook event code.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Maddoktor
    Guest

    Re: Macro to record user name and date/time

    Thanx Bob,

    I have one small error coming up. When I open my Workbook (Sheet 3 is the
    hidden sheet) an error comes up when the macro is run.

    The error is:
    Run-time error '9':
    Subscript out of range

    and when I click on the Debug button, the part of the code that is
    highlighted is "With Worksheets(HIDDEN_SHEET)".

    Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

    Maddoktor

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Macro to record user name and date/time

    Did you change the value of the constant HIDDEN_SHEET to Sheet3?

  5. #5
    Maddoktor
    Guest

    Re: Macro to record user name and date/time

    Bob,

    Here is the code I am working with. I am still getting the same error even
    though the error line reads ... With Worksheets(Sheet3).

    Option Explicit

    Private iNextRow As Long
    Const Sheet3 As String = "hidden"

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    With Worksheets(Sheet3)
    .Range("A1").Value = Environ("UserName")
    .Range("B1").Value = Format(Date + Time, "dd mmm yyyy hh:mm:ss")
    End With
    iNextRow = 2

    End Sub

    Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
    On Error GoTo wb_exit
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Sh.Name <> Sheet3 Then
    With Worksheets(Sheet3)

  6. #6
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: Macro to record user name and date/time

    I think Bob is gone for the day but what he meant was change the
    Constant declaration i.e

    Private iNextRow As Long
    Const HIDDEN_SHEET As String = "Sheet3" '<<<Changed

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    With Worksheets(HIDDEN_SHEET)
    .Range("A1").Value = Environ("UserName")
    .Range("B1").Value = Format(Date + Time, _
    "dd mmm yyyy hh:mm:ss")
    End With
    iNextRow = 2

    End Sub

    Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, _
    ByVal Target As Range)
    On Error GoTo wb_exit
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Sh.Name <> HIDDEN_SHEET Then
    With Worksheets(HIDDEN_SHEET)
    .Range("A" & iNextRow).Value = Environ("UserName")
    .Range("B" & iNextRow).Value = Format(Date + Time, _
    "dd mmm yyyy hh:mm:ss")
    End With
    End If

    wb_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    End Sub

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  7. #7
    Maddoktor
    Guest

    Re: Macro to record user name and date/time

    Thanx Rowan,

    It worked :-)

    I would like to expand it a little further. The username appears in column A
    and the date/time in column B, which is great. I would like the cell
    co-ordinates (i.e. D2) and the cell data (before being modified) that have
    been modified in columns C and D respectively and the cell's modified data
    in column E.

    For example: If Sheet1 cell D2=1000, and someone modifies this cell so that
    cell D2 now reads 500, I would like my hidden sheet to record:

    Column A - Username
    Column B - Date/Time
    Column C - D2 (cell co-ordinates)
    Column D - 1000 (original data - before being modified)
    Column E - 500 (modified data - new data that had been entered)

    What I am trying to do is keep a running report of a workbook being
    modified, by whom, and what they have changed.

    I hope this is possible to accomplish.

    Thanx in advance.

    Maddoktor

    news:%[email protected]...