Making it not look like excel????

  1. #1

    Making it not look like excel????

    Hi

    Is there a way to make the workbook not look like a excel but a program on its own eg no menus etc

    thanks

  2. #2
    John Coleman
    Guest

    Re: Making it not look like excel????

    raw wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Is there a way to make the workbook not look like a excel but a program
    > on its own eg no menus etc
    >
    > thanks
    >

    > --
    > raw
    > raw's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28312
    > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=493436

    It is possible to have a user form visible but the excel application
    invisible (application.visible = false). In the workbook open event you
    could have code which shows the userform and hides excel (but make sure
    you close excel and/or restore its visibility when you close the form).

    Short of that, you can do things like hide gridlines, row and column
    labels, and go full-screen, which goes a long way to getting rid of the
    spreadsheet look. You could even look into things like hiding all
    toolbars, etc. , I'm not sure how far you can go in that direction

    Hope that helps

    -John Coleman

  3. #3
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Making it not look like excel????

    Yes you can remove almost everything that would give any indication that it
    is Excel. That being said this is only recommended under VERY specific
    circumstances. If your spreadsheet removes all of the toolbars etc, and the
    user opens another spreadsheet then the toobars will not exist for that sheet
    either. Additionally you need to have a lot of errorhandling associated with
    the workbook that is modifying all of these settings because if something
    goes wrong it has to put everything back the way it found it. Finally unless
    you are very experienced with VBA then I strongly advise against doing this
    as there is a fair bit to it and you can get in over your head pretty fast...
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  4. #4
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    Re: Making it not look like excel????

    How do you keep the end user from opening up a new workbook and having it
    land in the hidden coy of Excel?
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomlinson
    How do you keep the end user from opening up a new workbook and having it
    land in the hidden coy of Excel?
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson
    I think that will not happen. 'cause if the excel file is hidden out of view and only the userform is showing you will not be able to work on any other excel file.

  6. #6
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    Re: Making it not look like excel????

    Try it. The Excel file you try to open will not open. The User form holds the
    copy of Excel so that you double click in Windows Explorer to open another
    spreadsheet and it by default will try to open in the current instance of
    Excel and nothing happens... The user form is in the way. The only way around
    it will be to have the user open a second instance of Excel and open their
    file their. They user will have to be very aware of which instance of Excel
    is currently in focus before trying to open a file through windows explorer.
    My preference is to not Hijack Excel in that way. Too many call from irate
    end users... :-)
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  7. #7
    Thanks Jim for the clarification. That's one pitfall to avoid in future.