Excel 97 modules appear as tabs

  1. #1
    Kate
    Guest

    Excel 97 modules appear as tabs

    I'm attempting to re-program a workbook which I originally
    designed in Excel 2003, to run in Excel 97 also.

    I've discovered a few annoying items, such as
    worksheet-changes not being triggered when data validation
    drop boxes are used. However, this one has me bamboozled:

    Modules randomly appear as tabs in the worksheet. When this
    happens, the whole thing locks up and must be crashed
    out-of. This only happens with stand-alone modules, not
    with code that is associated with each sheet.

    Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this issue? I need
    these modules to be available to all the sheets at all times.

    Thanks, in advance,
    Kate

  2. #2

    Re: Excel 97 modules appear as tabs

    I've never seen this problem.

    But back with xl95, macros were saved in macro sheets (before the VBE was
    invented).

    Any chance you're saving as xl95?

    You should be able to save as a normal workbook--the file format for xl97, xl2k,
    xl2002, xl2003 are all the same.

    ===
    When bad things happen to good modules, maybe it's time to run Rob Bovey's code
    cleaner:

    You can find it here:
    http://www.appspro.com/

  3. #3
    Kate
    Guest

    Re: Excel 97 modules appear as tabs

    Dave, thanks for that quick reply. I indeed had originally
    saved it in Excel 2003 as Excel 97 -Excel 2003 and 5 & 95
    workbook. Based upon this information, I have re-saved it
    in Excel 97 as just Microsoft Excel Workbook, and I seem to
    not be having that problem any more!! Thank you so much!

    I will also keep that code cleaner in mind, should other
    problems arise...

    -Kate

  4. #4
    Kate
    Guest

    Re: Excel 97 modules appear as tabs

    Dave, after I thought I'd fixed the problem, I continued to
    encounter other errors that seemed related to the same
    problem, that Excel 97 thinks the modules are worksheets.

    I have numerous cases in which I loop through all the
    worksheets in the workbook, such as turning protection off
    or on in order to make some changes to protected cells. The
    sheet counter moves past the last sheet, and goes into the
    modules, giving a type mismatch error.

    e.g.:

    Set wb = ActiveWorkbook
    For Each sht In wb.Sheets
    setProtection sht, False
    Next sht

    Public Sub setProtection(wks As Worksheet, bStatus As Boolean)
    With wks
    If bStatus Then
    .EnableSelection = xlUnlockedCells
    .Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True,
    Scenarios:=True
    Else
    .Unprotect
    End If
    End With
    End Sub

    -Kate

  5. #5

    Re: Excel 97 modules appear as tabs

    You could be more selective in your code:

    Set wb = ActiveWorkbook
    For Each sht In wb.Worksheets
    setProtection sht, False
    Next sht

    If I remember correctly, you can try this to fix the problem.

    Open the problem workbook
    start a new workbook (just for temporary use)

    Get to the VBE (alt-f11)
    show the project explorer so you can see the Modules of the problem workbook.
    Drag each module from the problem project to the temporary workbook's project
    (just click and drag it).

    After you've copied over all the modules, delete those modules in the problem
    workbook.
    (Just rightclick on each and choose remove module--don't bother exporting it.)

    Then drag the copied modules back from the temporary workbook's project back to
    the troubled workbook.

    close and save your problem workbook.

    (close without saving the temp workbook.)

    Now reopen your "used-to-be" problem workbook.

    If you don't trust this, make a backup copy first!

    (I just tried it from an oldddddddd workbook (last updated in 1996) and it
    seemed to work ok!)

  6. #6
    Kate
    Guest

    Re: Excel 97 modules appear as tabs

    Thanks again, Dave. I'll give it a try later. Time to head
    off for the office xmas party now! -Kate