How to do a mass update to formulas?

  1. #1
    Chris
    Guest

    How to do a mass update to formulas?

    When changing from 2005-2006 workbooks, is there an easy way to recreate the
    formulas with a DIFFERENT source name (as the file names will change in 2006)
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Wisconsin
    MS-Off Ver

    Mass Formula Replacement

    Use Control H to find and replace.

    Be careful to use enough text to only replacew those values that need to be replaced.

    For instance if the first file is named "My File 2005.xls" don't just use the 2005 as there may potentially be something else in the worksheet that has a value of 2005 within the formula (e.g. cell A2005).

    I would use the entire old file name in the Find box, and the entire new file name in the Replace With box.

    You can replace one at a time, making sure to only replace those cells that need replacing, or if you are sure that your find and replace is specific enough, you can replace all in a single action.
    Thanks!
    Dennis

    I am using Windows 7 and Office 2007, all of my posts are based on this.

  3. #3
    Doug Glancy
    Guest

    Re: How to do a mass update to formulas?

    Chris,

    Can you just do a find and replace in the workbook, replacing "2005" with
    "2006"? Or how about Edit --> Links --> Change Source?

    Doug

  4. #4
    Chris
    Guest

    Re: How to do a mass update to formulas?

    I will try this. I did not create the original data which is why I am
    hesitant to make a mass change. Thank you so much.
    Chris