How to write a language independent formula

  1. #1
    Jaime Stuardo
    Guest

    How to write a language independent formula

    Hi all...

    I am using Excel COM component to transform a CSV file into an XLS file.
    After converting it, I need to summarize a column that contains numbers.

    I am using FormulaR1C1 property of a Cell object. In order to know what
    value I need to place in that property, I used Excel by recording a new macro
    and make the sum.

    When I saw the generated code, FormulaR1C1 property was assigned this value
    : "=SUM(R[-488]C:R[-1]C)". I have Microsoft Excel in Spanish, so I thought
    that formula was writen in a standard way.

    Well.. when I used the same code from my component I got an exception. After
    some tests, I discovered that I should assign "=SUMA(F(-488)C:F(-1)C)" to
    FormulaR1C1 property (that is, the formula written in spanish). By using this
    formula would work for users that have Excel in Spanish, but not for users
    that have Excel in English.

    Is there any way to solve this problem?
    Thanks a lot in advance

    Jaime

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: How to write a language independent formula

    I don't know how you write the formula to a cell, but from VBA you would
    indeed use the English version. Otherwise you would use the FormulaR1C1Local
    property.
    Are you sure this is how it happened?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jaime Stuardo
    Guest

    Re: How to write a language independent formula

    Yes... by using VBA I have no problems (when it is used from VB editor in
    Excel).

    As I said, I am using Microsoft Excel Object Library, instantiating
    Excel.Application object from a C++ program (using IDispatch interface).

    When I assigned "=SUM(R[-488]C:R[-1]C)" to FormulaR1C1 property, an
    exception occurs, but when I used "=SUMA(F(-488)C:F(-1)C)" it worked. As you
    know, if I would use "=SUM(R[-488]C:R[-1]C)" in VBA using Excel editor, I
    would have no problems.

    I realized of that by using the following test. I have created an XLS file
    with a SUM formula at cell (1, 1). Then I opened that file from my C++
    application and read the Cell (1, 1) content. I see that the string read from
    FormulaR1C1 property is the Spanish version of the formula, contrary to the
    version that is shown in the VBA editor.

    Jaime