Keeping the exponent at a fix value in Excel

  1. #1
    WayneL
    Guest

    Keeping the exponent at a fix value in Excel

    Hi

    When formatting in Scientific, how can you keep the exponent constant and
    allow the decimal point to move?
    For example

    If I have:
    6.647E-03
    1.741E-02
    8.378E-02

    How do I ensure that Excel keeps the E to E-3 and adjust the decimal point?

    Cheers

    WayneL

  2. #2
    Jim Thompson
    Guest

    Re: Keeping the exponent at a fix value in Excel

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:49:01 GMT, "WayneL"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >When formatting in Scientific, how can you keep the exponent constant and
    >allow the decimal point to move?
    >For example
    >
    >If I have:
    >6.647E-03
    >1.741E-02
    >8.378E-02
    >
    >How do I ensure that Excel keeps the E to E-3 and adjust the decimal point?
    >
    >Cheers
    >

    >WayneL

    Don't use "Scientific", use "Engineering" notation.

    ...Jim Thompson
    --
    | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
    | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

  3. #3
    RST Engineering \(jw\)
    Guest

    Re: Keeping the exponent at a fix value in Excel

    I can't guarantee that it will always be to the -3, but I can guarantee that
    it will be an "engineering" prefix that is some multiple of 3 (i.e. kilo,
    micro, pico, giga, etc.)

    Format the cell(s) in question with the Custom format of ##0.0E+0 (this is
    one of the predefined Custom formats).

    It wasn't my original idea; I think Jim Thompson showed me how to do it a
    few years ago.

    Jim

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    WayneL
    Guest

    Re: Keeping the exponent at a fix value in Excel

    Could please let me know how to format in Engineering notation?
    I have been in Format => Cell and there is not Engineering on Scientific.

    Cheers

    WayneL
    "Jim Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in

  5. #5
    Jim Thompson
    Guest

    Re: Keeping the exponent at a fix value in Excel

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 18:21:21 GMT, "WayneL"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Could please let me know how to format in Engineering notation?
    >I have been in Format => Cell and there is not Engineering on Scientific.
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >WayneL

    [snip]

    Format -> Cells -> Number -> Custom