Another cell formatting dependent on cell contents question / message box popup?

  1. #1
    StargateFan
    Guest

    Another cell formatting dependent on cell contents question / message box popup?

    I've looked in the archives and have found some code to do this type
    of thing but I haven't found where the code should really actually go
    or how to do 2 things.

    Re where it should go, would the worksheet module be best location, or
    should code go elsewhere? It would be best if the formatting
    automatically updates and that the user doesn't have to press a button
    to have the cell formatting take place or "refresh". I don't actually
    know if XL2K can do that.

    First thing - conditional formatting would be easiest perhaps for font
    colour but we have more than the allowed 3 conditions. About 7
    different formatting issues so far, if memory serves.

    There are about 7 different correspondence types. I forgot to bring a
    copy of the sheet home, but each cell font colour in a row will depend
    on to whom the correspondence is going to. In the Word doct. they've
    been using up till now, they've done this manually.

    In about the third cell in a row we might have recipient as "Official
    Agents". For this entire row in the print area, then, the font for
    all text should be, say, purple. For the entry of "Returning
    Officers", the row font should be, oh, blue. Also, I've found code
    that talks about formatting in a range but not sure if when we add new
    rows to this log, that the code would adjust (?), whereas the print
    area seems better to me (esp. since header row in that print area
    doesn't have same text we'd use for the formatting) but will leave to
    experts to advise what is actually best.

    Lastly, is this possible: depending on due date cell in sheet, can a
    box pop up showing three things -

    1) overdue dockets in red that are past the due date and showing #
    of days overdue along with actual due date;
    2) items due today (in blue perhaps) and showing actual due date; and
    3) items due tomorrow in green, again also listing actual due dates.

    If users want to know more, they just go to the sheet itself, of
    course.

    I think I'd put this "due dates" information in a msgbox that pops up
    via 2 avenues - in Auto_Open and on a button users press to get info.
    I imagine I'd have to create a form to be used rather than a standard
    message box, but I'm ready to learn how to do that <g>. My colleagues
    are working without a system and they came to me almost in desperation
    yesterday to see if I could come up with something for them.

    It's a tall order and I'm most willing to do the legwork, I just
    haven't figured out what search terms to use as I get a much too broad
    range of related and unrelated messages in the archives so any help to
    get us started would be greatly appreciated! :oD

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Another cell formatting dependent on cell contents question / message box popup?

    Search on Events and the Case Statement. Start with your Excel VBA help.

    In the module type

    Select Case

    highlight it and hit F1.

    for an overview of events

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    StargateFan
    Guest

    Re: Another cell formatting dependent on cell contents question / message box popup?

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:31:45 -0500, "Tom Ogilvy" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Search on Events and the Case Statement. Start with your Excel VBA help.

    Thank you, Tom! It really helps to have narrowed down something to
    look for. <g>

    >In the module type
    >
    >Select Case
    >
    >highlight it and hit F1.
    >
    >for an overview of events
    >
    >http://www.cpearson.com/excel/events.htm

    Super! I'll be trying to get to this workbook today.

    Cheers! :oD