Drop Down Boxes or Macros?

  1. #1
    A.S.
    Guest

    Drop Down Boxes or Macros?

    Hello,
    I needed some help with the following:

    I have a drop down box of departments (finance, accounting, etc.) Basically,
    I would like it so that a user picks the department, then he fills out some
    of the expenses. Then he can choose another department with the same dorp
    down box and fill out that department's expenses. However, the catch is I
    would like the information that was input for the first department selected
    to remain. Are there any ideas?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Drop Down Boxes or Macros?

    I would use dropdown boxes (Data>Validation) in separate cells. If you
    create a list of the departments, you can point both DVs to that list.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    A.S.
    Guest

    Re: Drop Down Boxes or Macros?

    I don't think that will work: To illustrate:

    Drop - Down Box - Finance, Accouting, etc. (5 others)

    Expenses:
    Relocation, Recruiting, etc. (list has 30 items)
    Now, I am forecasting so they will put these expenses for 12 months for each
    expense for each department. Therefore, if I create multiple drop down lists,
    I still have the same problem, because it is the same expense types for each,
    however, the amounts will all vary depending on department. I can not create
    multiple lists because it is too much stuff. Any ideas on how I can do this?
    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Drop Down Boxes or Macros?

    I don't understand why that wouldn't work.

    Maybe you mean that when you select a department, the Expense type dropdown
    should be specific to that department. If so, see