Drop Down Boxes

  1. #1
    A.S.
    Guest

    Drop Down Boxes

    Anyone can help with this?

    Drop - Down Box - Finance, Accouting, etc. (5 others)

    Expenses:
    Relocation, Recruiting, etc. (list has 30 items)
    Now, I am forecasting so they will put these expenses for 12 months for each
    expense for each department. Therefore, if I create multiple drop down lists,
    I still have the same problem, because it is the same expense types for each,
    however, the amounts will all vary depending on department. I can not create
    multiple lists because it is too much stuff. Any ideas on how I can do this?
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Art
    Guest

    RE: Drop Down Boxes

    A.S.,

    This is a little unclear, at least to me. First, is this on a form or on a
    worksheet. Maybe a small example might help me or someone else to better
    understand what you're trying to do.

    Art

  3. #3
    A.S.
    Guest

    RE: Drop Down Boxes

    DEPARTMENTS (drop-down with Fin, acct,
    etc.)
    M1 M2 M3 M4 M5 M6 M7 M8 M9 M10
    M11 M12
    Exp 1
    Exp 2
    etc.

    So basically...and data would be put in for each month for each expense.
    However, the departments cell is a drop-down menu, so they can choose
    whichever department. So I would like it so that if Finance is chosen and the
    user puts in the amount $100 for M1, Exp 1. Then they can then go back to the
    drop-down and choose Accounting and re-enter an amount for M1, Exp 1, which
    would ony be for accounting. Hope this explanation helps.

  4. #4
    Art
    Guest

    RE: Drop Down Boxes

    A.S.,

    So it sounds like you will need another place to store the results once
    they're entered.

    The drop downs should be able to be handled pretty easilty with data
    validation. Also, it seems like you might not want drop downs for the
    expense categories as your example has them coded to each line.

    Assuming that for right now, you would need a macro behind the sheet to
    recognize that data has been entered. Let's assume you have a bunch of
    hidden sheets, one for each department. When data is entered, you can
    capture that, check the value of the department drop down, and store the
    entry in the proper departmental sheet.

    You may have simplified your example, and perhaps I'm missing something
    important, but I think this might be a sensible way to start.

    Art

  5. #5
    A.S.
    Guest

    RE: Drop Down Boxes

    Hi Art,
    Yeah I think that we on the same page now. So basically I need it to hold
    onto the information, so how would I do this? What macro can be used so that
    once the data is input for a category, it is stored, and a differenct
    category can be chosen then to input data? Thanks for the help

  6. #6
    Art
    Guest

    RE: Drop Down Boxes

    Okay, for an example I did the following:

    On sheet "Entry"
    Cell E1 has the department drop down.
    B2:D2 has M1 M2 M3
    A3 has Exp1
    A4 has Exp2

    There is also a sheet Dept One, and Dept Two -- these are the values in the
    drop down.

    The following macro is in the "Entry" sheet (you get there from the macro
    editor and look for the sheet name):

    Option Explicit

    Dim mRow As Long
    Dim mCol As Integer

    'Find out where the data went
    mRow = Target.Row
    mCol = Target.Column

    'ignore anything outside of the input region
    If mRow > 20 Then Exit Sub
    If mCol > 4 Then Exit Sub

    'Put the data in the other sheet.
    Select Case Sheets("Entry").Range("E1")
    Case "Dept One"
    Sheets("Dept One").Cells(mRow, mCol) =
    Sheets("Entry").Cells(mRow, mCol)
    Case "Dept Two"
    Sheets("Dept Two").Cells(mRow, mCol) =
    Sheets("Entry").Cells(mRow, mCol)
    End Select
    End Sub

    You may want to copy that to something that has a longer line width so it's
    readable.

    I may not be able to continue on this today -- but if you need more help
    later today, perhaps someone else can jump in.

    Art