Colon in code?

  1. #1
    davegb
    Guest

    Colon in code?

    What does a colon in VBA code do? I.e.,

    Hide:

    I tried to figure out how to look this up both online and in
    Walkenbach, but couldn't find anything on it.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Colon in code?

    It separates two logical lines of code into a single line of
    text. E.g., the following code snippets are functionally
    equivalent:

    Dim X As Long: X = 123

    Dim X As Long
    X = 123

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Colon in code?

    I should have added that the colon is also used to label a
    location in code, typically used for On Error Goto Label
    statements.

    On Error GoTo ErrH:
    ' some code
    ErrH:
    ' error code here

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

  4. #4
    Lorenzo
    Guest

    Re: Colon in code?

    A c olumn ":" represents a label for a certain part of code, for example:

    Sub Example()

    Dim myValue As Boolean
    myValue = False

    If myValue = True Then
    GoTo Section1 'the execution will continue starting from Section1:
    Else
    GoTo Section2 'the execution will continue starting from Section2:
    End If

    Section1: 'label
    MsgBox "Section1"
    Exit Sub 'this is necessary to stop here the execution instead of go on with
    Section2, too

    Section2: 'label
    MsgBox "Section2"

    End Sub

    This example only shows which is the fuction of column ":", it doesn't do
    anything useful.
    Please, note that GoTo sections are not a very good choise in almost all
    cases: the code will result more diffucult to be followed, more exposed to
    bugs etc... So, use GoTo only if strictly necessary, as I was always told,
    too.

    Hoping this is clear.

    Ciao,
    Lorenzo
    myWeb: http://www.lorenzospace.it

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    George Nicholson
    Guest

    Re: Colon in code?

    In this case, I suspect "Hide:" is a line label (Colons can also be used to
    separate multi commands on a single line, but that doesn't seem to be the
    case here). There is probably a "GoTo Hide" instruction somewhere in the
    same function/procedure where you found it (if there isn't, there probably
    was one at some point in time and someone simply forgot to take the
    corresponding label out.)

    Use of line labels and goto's is (generally) frowned upon (outside of Error
    trapping where they are a necessity). This has become one of those "rules to
    be broken" because improper/overuse of them is an very easy trap for newbie
    coders to fall into since there is (almost) always a better way to achieve
    the same results. Extreme caution is advised or you could quickly end up
    with "spaghetti code" that jumps all over the place: something totally
    unreadable & unmanageable, even if you wrote it yourself yesterday.

    "Line labels" doesn't warrant an entry in Help, but you can get to a
    hyperlink definition of them via the entry for the "GoTo" statement.

    Let's be careful out there...

    HTH,
    --
    George Nicholson

    Remove 'Junk' from return address.

  6. #6
    davegb
    Guest

    Re: Colon in code?

    George Nicholson wrote:
    > In this case, I suspect "Hide:" is a line label (Colons can also be used to
    > separate multi commands on a single line, but that doesn't seem to be the
    > case here). There is probably a "GoTo Hide" instruction somewhere in the
    > same function/procedure where you found it (if there isn't, there probably
    > was one at some point in time and someone simply forgot to take the
    > corresponding label out.)
    >
    > Use of line labels and goto's is (generally) frowned upon (outside of Error
    > trapping where they are a necessity). This has become one of those "rules to
    > be broken" because improper/overuse of them is an very easy trap for newbie
    > coders to fall into since there is (almost) always a better way to achieve
    > the same results. Extreme caution is advised or you could quickly end up
    > with "spaghetti code" that jumps all over the place: something totally
    > unreadable & unmanageable, even if you wrote it yourself yesterday.
    >
    > "Line labels" doesn't warrant an entry in Help, but you can get to a
    > hyperlink definition of them via the entry for the "GoTo" statement.
    >
    > Let's be careful out there...
    >
    > HTH,
    > --
    > George Nicholson
    >
    > Remove 'Junk' from return address.
    >

    > "davegb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > What does a colon in VBA code do? I.e.,
    > >
    > > Hide:
    > >
    > > I tried to figure out how to look this up both online and in
    > > Walkenbach, but couldn't find anything on it.
    > > Thanks.

    Thanks for all your replys!