Macro signature disappears.

  1. #1
    G. Drager
    Guest

    Macro signature disappears.

    I have several spreadsheets with Macros that I deploy throughout our
    school district with security level locked at high. I sign all the macros
    for any spreadsheet and have deployed the trust to all computers (done at
    HKLM level, so users cannot alter the trusts). By in large this works well.
    However, I have some users that, through no fault of their own, manage to
    somehow strip the signatures from their document. All macros are password
    protected, so they can't alterany code. I can open the document from a
    development machine, apply the signature, and then visit their classroom and
    work with them without any problem. The next morning, I will get a call that
    they were working on it again and the macros are broken again (the signature
    is MIA again).
    I'm at a loss to explain what they may be doing to cause the signature to
    be removed...I can only imagine that something is causing the code to change
    and invalidate the signature even though they really can't access it.
    So is there any method to further protect the code/certificate to make
    sure things don't get changed?

  2. #2
    Robin Hammond
    Guest

    Re: Macro signature disappears.

    Not sure if this is the answer, but is there any kind of VBA autosave tool
    installed on the machines you are having trouble with. Saving a vba project
    on a machine that does not hold the original of the certificate could cause
    the certificate to be discarded.

    Robin Hammond
    www.enhanceddatasystems.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    GB
    Guest

    Re: Macro signature disappears.

    I have not found that saving a document that has associated signed VBA code
    to drop the signature, unless something has changed the VBA code. There may
    be other circumstances that cause the signature to be lost, which I think is
    the root of the question, what events will cause the signature to be lost?
    There might also be a version issue, like Office 98 vs. Office 2003 or
    something like that, though I have not run into problems with signed files
    losing signatures other than by users modifying the VBA.

    OHHHH yeah.. Just remembered something, if a user adds/edits controls in the
    workbook, like adding a text box or editing the functionality of the text box
    to the document, then Office considers this a change in VBA functionality and
    will drop the signature when saved.

  4. #4
    G. Drager
    Guest

    Re: Macro signature disappears.

    Thanks for the reply.

    I'll have to take a look at the control issues. I have used a button
    control on these forms, perhaps they're moving it or causing some other
    modifcation to register.