Encryption

  1. #1
    Lydon Bergin
    Guest

    Encryption

    Hello All:

    I am working on an Excel workbook with VBA that will be used to print
    temporary checks for our customers. I have everything working great, but I
    want to be able to save the customer information each time a new customer is
    entered for future reference. To do this, I would need to save names,
    addresses, and account numbers somewhere, but of course security is my first
    issue. How should I go about doing this?

    I have worked with a couple of encryption modules, but they encrypt a string
    to (what I assume is) an array of bytes that I can't get into a cell (well,
    I can but it shows up as Chinese). What I really need is something that
    will encrypt a string to another string, but 1, are there any modules that
    do that, and 2, is that secure enough? How can I save these byte values
    somewhere that I can get them back? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Lydon D. Bergin
    MCP, MOS

  2. #2
    GB
    Guest

    RE: Encryption

    Unfortunately I'm not one that really has an answer for you, but when you
    talk about the encryption to a cell and it looks like chinese, well it seems
    that the encryption worked. You would just need some way to decrypt it as
    needed.

    Depending on your actual requirement to encrypt/hide the data, if you store
    the data on a worksheet that is Very Hidden (not just hidden) and lock your
    code so that the list of sheets can not be seen, it's not readily visible,
    but may not meet your requirements.

  3. #3
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Encryption

    This link may be of some value to you.

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/fileandvbapwords.html

    It does not directly answer your question but it give you some good general
    insight into protection.
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  4. #4
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Encryption

    You should not rely on Excel security when storing "sensitive" information.
    Workbook/worksheet/VBA project passwords are all easily cracked by anyone
    who knows enough to google for the method.

    If your encryption/decryption method is implemented in VBA then it would
    also be accessible to anyone who obtained your file, and they could use your
    routine to decrypt the data.

    Tim

    --
    Tim Williams
    Palo Alto, CA

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Lydon Bergin
    Guest

    Re: Encryption

    >"Tim Williams" <timjwilliams at gmail dot com> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...

    > You should not rely on Excel security when storing "sensitive"
    > information.
    > Workbook/worksheet/VBA project passwords are all easily cracked by anyone
    > who knows enough to google for the method.
    >
    > If your encryption/decryption method is implemented in VBA then it would
    > also be accessible to anyone who obtained your file, and they could use
    > your
    > routine to decrypt the data.
    >
    > Tim

    Any idea how (besides saving to a database) I can save this information
    securely?

    Lydon D. Bergin
    MCP, MOS

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Encryption

    The problem is denying access to those for which access is not intended.

    Encryption might be one form of solution, but it doesn't appear one very
    useful if you are going to use the data on a daily basis.

    If you can control physical/electronic access to the file, that should be
    sufficient - really depends on what the threat is.

    Tom Ogilvy

  7. #7
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Encryption

    If you can find a suitable encryption/decryption algorithm which uses a
    passphrase not stored in the workbook (you would have to enter it manually
    in each session) then that might work.

    It really depends on how secure you need the information to be. As Tom
    notes, just controlling access to the file might be enough for your
    situation.

    Tim.