update Link from protected wb OR prompt for protecting a worksheet

  1. #1
    zand
    Guest

    update Link from protected wb OR prompt for protecting a worksheet

    What I am actually trying to do is to link data from a protected workbook (so
    a user can give a password in the save as > tools > general options menue)
    into another workbook to consolidate different users information.

    Unfortunately, the consolidation workbook only updates the data when you
    type in the password of the data entry workbook (which makes the password
    useless). Is there a way to link data with this protection mechanism?

    If not, what would work for me is to use the protect worksheet function and
    hide the columns before protecting it. My second question then is ...

    Is there a way to write a macro doing the following:
    - close a data group
    - prompt a user to enter the data sheet protection password
    - (probably you need to type it again to verify)
    - save the document
    - close the document

    any help is greatly appreciated.
    Andreas

  2. #2

    Re: update Link from protected wb OR prompt for protecting a worksheet

    I don't think you can avoid those password prompts when you hit refresh links.

    But you could provide a workbook that opens all the workbooks that send values
    (you supply the password in your code to open the workbooks), then open the real
    workbook.

    Then close all the other workbooks.

    You can record a macro when you show/hide rows/columns to get the code.

    And if you just want to allow the user to be able to expand/contract those
    outlines:

    If you already have the outline/subtotals applied, you can protect the worksheet
    in code (auto_open/workbook_open??).

    Option Explicit
    Sub auto_open()
    With Worksheets("sheet1")
    .Protect Password:="hi", userinterfaceonly:=True
    .EnableOutlining = True
    '.EnableAutoFilter = True
    End With
    End Sub

    It needs to be reset each time you open the workbook. (excel doesn't remember
    it after closing the workbook.)

    =====
    In fact, with that userinterfaceonly:=true portion, your code should be able to
    hide/show rows without unprotecting the worksheet.