Why Is The Macro Edit Button Disabled?

  1. #1
    KelleyS
    Guest

    Why Is The Macro Edit Button Disabled?

    My company has an Excel spreadsheet containing a macro created by an employee
    that is no longer with the company. We open the spreadsheet, get prompted
    and select to Enable Macros. But when we go to Tools>Macro>Macros, the only
    buttons that are enabled for the macro are Run and Cancel. We'd like to edit
    this macro. How do we reenable the Edit button?

  2. #2
    bigwheel
    Guest

    RE: Why Is The Macro Edit Button Disabled?

    It sounds like the macro in question has been protected by a password. You
    don't say which version of Excel you are using but if you open the VBA editor
    (Tools>Macro>Visual Basic Editor) and try opening the relevent project,
    you'll probably be prompted to enter the password. There are applications
    available to help recovery of password protected VBA macros, a quick search
    on the net will give you several examples