Playing a WAV file in Excel 2002

  1. #1

    Playing a WAV file in Excel 2002

    I have the following code to play a WAV file in excel:

    Sub PlayWavFile(WavFileName As String, Wait As Boolean)
    If Dir(WavFileName) = "" Then Exit Sub ' no file to play
    If Wait Then ' play sound before running any more code
    sndPlaySound WavFileName, 0
    Else ' play sound while code is running
    sndPlaySound WavFileName, 1

    where the file name is c:\accounts\05\temp\sound.wmv

    I am really struggling to put this macro together, can anyone lay it out in a slightly easier to follow format?

    Thanks
    chris

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Playing a WAV file in Excel 2002

    John Walkenbach's page on playing a wav or midi sound.

    Tom Ogilvy

    "chalky" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ah thanks for this - no wonder it wasnt working, my system isnt supporting it.

    Thanks
    Chris

  4. #4
    I have managed to procure a laptop wherre this macro looks like it will work fine. The formula used is as follows:

    Private Declare Function PlaySound Lib "winmm.dll" _
    Alias "PlaySoundA" (ByVal lpszName As String, _
    ByVal hModule As Long, ByVal dwFlags As Long) As Long

    Const SND_SYNC = &H0
    Const SND_ASYNC = &H1
    Const SND_FILENAME = &H20000

    Sub PlayWAV()
    WAVFile = "Noise-2.wav"
    WAVFile = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & WAVFile
    Call PlaySound(WAVFile, 0&, SND_ASYNC Or SND_FILENAME)
    End Sub

    However, when i run it i get the following error:

    run-time error '453'

    Can't find DLL entry point playsounda in winmm.dll

    Any ideas?

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Playing a WAV file in Excel 2002

    Best I can tell you is that this worked fine for me:

    Private Declare Function PlaySound Lib "winmm.dll" _
    Alias "PlaySoundA" (ByVal lpszName As String, _
    ByVal hModule As Long, ByVal dwFlags As Long) As Long

    Const SND_SYNC = &H0
    Const SND_ASYNC = &H1
    Const SND_FILENAME = &H20000

    Sub PlayWAV()
    'WAVFile = "Noise-2.wav"
    WAVFile = "C:\WINDOWS\MEDIA\Chimes.wav"
    Call PlaySound(WAVFile, 0&, SND_ASYNC Or SND_FILENAME)
    End Sub

    Windows XP Professional
    Excel 2003

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Playing a WAV file in Excel 2002

    Also worked unchanged in

    Windows 98 SE
    Excel 97

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    This code seems to be running the macro now but no sound is coming out! I have checked the volume and that is fine - i am at a lose!

  8. #8
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Playing a WAV file in Excel 2002

    Do you get sounds otherwise? If not, perhaps you have mute turned on.