Macro Programming Syntax

  1. #1
    JC
    Guest

    Macro Programming Syntax

    I have a workbook with 2 worksheets, SUM and Weekly Forecast. Based on the
    weekly forecast we hold excess stock of product for a predetermined number of
    weeks. The number of weeks can change with each quarter of the year. I am
    trying modify the file so that when a new forecast is loaded Excel will
    create updated excess stock values.

    From the Excel side:

    I have my cursor in cell N5, the date in cell N4 is 06-FEB-06, cell N3 has
    the value 1 from the formula =1+INT((MONTH(N$4)-1)/3) {this tells which
    quarter to use}. Column B contains the value for each item for the first
    quarter, Col E is Q2, Col H is Q3 and Col K is Q4. I have a formula which I
    manually enter to calculate the excess based on that quarters value. That
    formula is: =IF($B5=0,0,SUM('Weekly Forecast'!O5:OFFSET('Weekly
    Forecast'!O5,0,SUM!$B5-1))).

    This works fine for the first quarter, but when I get into the second
    quarter I have to manually change $B5 to $E5 and so on. This gets very
    cumbersome.

    What I would like is some method to read the month value from row 3 and use
    this to determine which col to use to get the weeks value.

    I have been banging my head on this for a few weeks to any help would be
    appreciated.

    --
    Thanks in advance,
    JC

  2. #2

    Re: Macro Programming Syntax

    This should be a simple fix.
    It sounds like you should be able to add four nested IF statements to
    account for each of the four quarter possibilities... this would be a
    megaformula... not usually a good option. But if you are feeling
    ambitious then try...
    =IF(N3=1,(IF($B5=0,0,SUM('Weekly Forecast'!O5:OFFSET('Weekly
    Forecast'!O5,0,SUM!$B5-1)))),(IF(N3=2,(IF($E5=0,0,SUM('Weekly
    Forecast'!O5:OFFSET('Weekly
    Forecast'!O5,0,SUM!$B5-1)))),(IF(N3=3,(IF($H5=0,0,SUM('Weekly
    Forecast'!O5:OFFSET('Weekly
    Forecast'!O5,0,SUM!$B5-1)))),(IF(N3=4,(IF($K5=0,0,SUM('Weekly
    Forecast'!O5:OFFSET('Weekly
    Forecast'!O5,0,SUM!$B5-1)))),XXX)))))))

    I wrote this freehand so it may need to be reformatted, but this should
    get you started.

    Feel free to drop me a line should you need more help!

  3. #3
    Ian Digby
    Guest

    RE: Macro Programming Syntax

    JC,
    Any chance you could send a copy of your workbook to
    [email protected] if it is not too large?

    Otherwise, could you please answer the following questions?
    1. Where exactly and on what sheet is the formula =IF($B5=0,0,SUM('Weekly
    Forecast'!O5:OFFSET('Weekly Forecast'!O5,0,SUM!$B5-1)))?
    2. The other data/formulae you have given: are they on the "SUM" sheet or
    the "Weekly Forecast" sheet?

    Any further detail would be helpful.

    Regards,

    Ian

    --
    Work performed in the spirit of service is worship...Baha''''i Writings

  4. #4
    Ian Digby
    Guest

    RE: Macro Programming Syntax

    Jim,

    Thanks for sending your workbook.
    It looks as though you were 90% of the way there already. Try using
    "OFFSET($A5,0,N$3*3-2)" in place of "$B5" in your formula. This should
    reference the correct column (B,E,H etc.).

    I hope this works for you.

    Regards,

    Ian