what formula can I use to link two different excel spreadsheets?

  1. #1
    nb185022
    Guest

    what formula can I use to link two different excel spreadsheets?

    I am trying to link one spreadsheet to another using a common Find text box
    that will locate an instance of a string. Basically I have a inventory
    spreadsheet that contains all of the possible parts, and I also have a
    on-hand iventory of what I actually have. I am trying to create a link
    between the parts list and the on-hand invetory. Ideally I want to have the
    on-hand inventory populate itself once the quantities change, but that is a
    whole other task. Any help with what kind of formula to use to link two
    different spreadsheets using a common find text box is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Nick

  2. #2
    RB Smissaert
    Guest

    Re: what formula can I use to link two different excel spreadsheets?

    You might be better off with an Access database, but a good alternative
    might
    be to use SQL. This works on closed workbooks, so it would work fine
    on your workbook holding all the possible parts.

    RBS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: what formula can I use to link two different excel spreadsheets?

    Depending what you are doing you may be able to get away with a sumproduct.
    Here is a link for you...

    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  4. #4
    gwhenning
    Guest

    RE: what formula can I use to link two different excel spreadsheets?

    Why keep them in seperate workbooks? Why not keep them in seperate worksheets
    in the same workbook?

    To answer your question though, in your formulas just use
    "[filename.xls]sheetname!$A$1" without the quotes to access data in the other
    workbook. Simply change filename.xls to the full path to your file and
    sheetname to the worksheet you want to connect to and $a$1 to the cells you
    want to use.

    Hope this helps.