Validate typed-in value against in-cell dropdown list

  1. #1

    Validate typed-in value against in-cell dropdown list

    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this.

    I have an in-cell dropdown list that I set up via Data/Validation menu.
    All values in the list are uppercase. For example, "VISA, MASTER,
    DISCOVER". So, user can either choose from the list or manually type
    in the value.

    When user manually type in a value, I have code in Worksheet_Change()
    that will turn the value into uppercase. What I would like is to take
    this value and validate against the values from the dropdown list.

    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Validate typed-in value against in-cell dropdown list

    Why allow them to type in an entry if it must match the list?

  3. #3

    Re: Validate typed-in value against in-cell dropdown list

    Hi Toppers,
    The user prefers it although it wasn't a hard requirement. To some of
    them, typing it in is faster than using a mouse since they do it so
    often.
    Besides, when I used Data / Validation to set up the list, by default,
    it allows the user to type in the value.
    Thanks.

  4. #4
    javabeans
    Guest

    Re: Validate typed-in value against in-cell dropdown list

    I've run into similar problems. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

  5. #5
    Toppers
    Guest

    Re: Validate typed-in value against in-cell dropdown list

    It (XL2003) only values (to be typed) which are in the List so it is
    self-validating.