conditional formatting question

  1. #1
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    conditional formatting question

    Debug.Print cell.Interior.ColoriIndex

    does not return the color of a cell using conditional formatting. it
    retunes -4142.

    how do you return the cell colorindex of a conditionally formatted cell?

    --

    Gary

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: conditional formatting question

    Difficult. See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CFConditions.html

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: conditional formatting question

    ok, thanks, it's not that big of a deal, i'll work around it. just figured if a
    cell had a background, it would be returned with colorindex.

    --

    Gary

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: conditional formatting question

    No because the cell doesn't have that background, it is format. Just as a
    cell with a format of 0.00 might show a value of 2.66, but really contain a
    value of 2.67234. It is only presentation.

    You could always check that the cell satisfies the condition stipulated in
    the CF.

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: conditional formatting question

    Hi Gary,
    a bit late, but since you sprecifically mentioned -4142 as a color
    and I don't see any specific response to that ...

    it is the value for xlColorIndexNone
    which is NOT the same as white for interior
    nor is it specifically black for text.

    Since it is a default, programming might actually disregard the
    value and work perfectly well.

    See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/colors.htm#macros

    since the topic was conditional formatting you may find other related
    material not already mentioned in this thread or on Bob's page at
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm
    also possibly
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xl2html.htm

    since this is an old thread (1 1/2 weeks) the complete thread can be reviewed at
    http://google.com/groups?threadm=eW3...TNGP12.phx.gbl
    ---
    HTH,