Macros in shared Workbook.

  1. #1
    Seasider
    Guest

    Macros in shared Workbook.

    I have a client who requires VBA code in their shared workbook.

    The workbook is to have a dropdown box inserted over a cell and the user
    choose a value to enter into the cell. This all works great until I actually
    share the Workbook. I then get the message "Unable to get ADD property of
    dropdown class".

    Could this be something to do with permissions and if it is how do I get the
    macros to run ????

    Any help would be great

    best regardss

    Seasider

  2. #2

    Re: Macros in shared Workbook.

    In case the requirement is only to have a dropdown box, then there is
    no need for VBA code.
    Go to DATA menu
    Select VALIDATION
    In the ALLOW dropdown box, select LIST
    Enter values separated by commas in the SOURCE box(e.g)a,b,c
    Click OK

    This holds goods provided you are the user who share the workbook and
    the aim of the dropdown box is just to select a value.In case you want
    to add another dropdown box, remove share wrokbook facility, make your
    changes and then share it agian.

    In case of VBA code in a shared workbook, you cannot use the visual
    basic editor in your workbook is shared.

    Shared workbook is for only entering data by different users. It is
    suggested to restrict programming in these books.

    If you have a resource where Visual basic code could be written in a
    shared workbook while sharing, kindly mail me

  3. #3
    Seasider
    Guest

    Re: Macros in shared Workbook.

    Many thanks for the reply.

    I have solved this by changing the Dropdown box to a dialogue box.

    The VBA code is executed successfully for each sharer of the workbook, but
    one thing I have noticed is the file size.

    The user copies a master workbook and creates a weekly shared workbook from
    it, the file size of the master workbook is 133k. When the user has finished
    the week the workbook can be in excess of 4MB, but the text content is
    nothing like that large.

    Is there any overhead in these types of workbook?

    Seasider.

    news:[email protected]...