Q: how to create summary daily lists from another, and reverse

  1. #1
    pak
    Guest

    Q: how to create summary daily lists from another, and reverse

    Column A contains a list of strings, under the heading "thing". Next
    to each string, Column B contains blanks or an "x", with a date as a
    heading. In another worksheet, I want to create a list of all the
    values in Column A which have an "x" next to them in Column B. How can
    I do this?

    View the following in fixed-with font.

    For example, if this is my first table:

    A B C
    thing 1/28/2006 1/29/2006
    rock x
    scissors x
    frog x x
    flipper
    grumpy x
    doctor x
    notebook x
    power x x

    I want my second table to look like:

    A B
    1/28/2006 1/29/2006
    rock scissors
    frog frog
    doctor grumpy
    power notebook
    power

    And so on, for each day.

    And for mondo extra bonus points, propose a way to do this in reverse.
    That is, to put an "x" under the appropriate date column in the same
    row (in table 1) as the things listed in table 2.

    Much thanks-
    Peter Keller

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: how to create summary daily lists from another, and reverse

    Hi!

    Take a look at this sample file:

    http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...G0CI0F8LTOMUXP

    > And for mondo extra bonus points, propose a way to do this in reverse.
    > That is, to put an "x" under the appropriate date column in the same
    > row (in table 1) as the things listed in table 2.

    You can do this to create *ANOTHER* table 1 but not the original table 1.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Herbert Seidenberg
    Guest

    Re: Q: how to create summary daily lists from another, and reverse

    Or you can use Advanced Filter for the second table.
    Check: Copy to another location
    Database= header + thing
    Criteria= blank header + =OFFSET(thing,,n)="x" for n={1,2}
    Then replace result headers with dates.