Lost all my macros

  1. #1
    anasttin
    Guest

    Lost all my macros

    I have a workbook with many macros in it and tried to use it on another
    computer.

    When I opened it, I got the message, "Microsoft excel experienced an
    error and was able to recover by dropping VBA" (or something like
    that).

    I opened it and it looked okay, but I didn't realise it had dropped all
    my VBA code and did a lot of non-vba development on it that I can't
    afford to lose.

    I have an earlier version of the file which still has the vba code
    though. How do I go about bringing that VBA code into my latest version
    of the file?

    Thanks guys

  2. #2
    JakeyC
    Guest

    Re: Lost all my macros

    I sometimes encounter a similar error on computers at my work. The
    error I get tells me that there is an error accessing the system
    registry and that the VBA Project was lost along with ActiveX controls.

    Out IT Manager says it is due to my not having local administrator
    access on some computers.

    Not sure if that will help you, but just a thought.

  3. #3
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Lost all my macros

    First open both files

    Hit ALT+F11 and this will open the VBE (Visual Basic Editor)
    Top left you will hopefully see an explorer style pane. Within this pane
    you need to search for your workbook's name, and when you find it you may
    need to click on the + to expand it. Within that you should see the
    following:- (This is your new workbook with no macros)

    VBAProject(Your_Filename)
    Microsoft Excel Objects
    Sheet1(Sheet1)
    Sheet2(Sheet2)
    Sheet3(Sheet3)
    ThisWorkbook

    If you have named your sheets then those names will appear in the brackets
    above as opposed to what you see at the moment in my note.

    Now go find your old file name and it will probably look like:-

    VBAProject(Your_Filename)
    Microsoft Excel Objects
    Sheet1(Sheet1)
    Sheet2(Sheet2)
    Sheet3(Sheet3)
    ThisWorkbook
    Modules
    Module1
    Module2
    Module3

    Just click on and drag any modules from old file to new file and it will
    copy them into it, then hit File / Close and return to Microsoft Excel and
    save the file.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03