Background Cell shading colors

  1. #1
    Dean
    Guest

    Background Cell shading colors

    Someone has sent me a file with some cells shaded with a color that doesn't seem to be on my palette. I want to mimic that file with my own. I tried using format painter from his file to my file but that seems to use the color that is in the same position on my palette.

    It seems just a tad odd that I can view his color (even copy it within his file) yet not use it in my file. What is the easiest way to use his color in my file, maybe even add his color to my palette?

    Thanks!
    Dean

  2. #2
    scruffy
    Guest

    RE: Background Cell shading colors

    Have you tried using the specific color number or copying that color into
    your color pallette under a Custom color.

  3. #3
    Bob Tarburton
    Guest

    Re: Background Cell shading colors

    If you have your file and his file open, select your file go under Tools/Options.
    Select the tab tab called Color. There is a drop down list called Copy colors from, and all other open files should be included in that drop down list.
    OR
    There is also a Modify button on the Color tab. While in his file, go to the color tab, select the color on his palette that you want, press modify, go to the custom tab.
    This will tell you the RGB or HSL value of the color you want. Then go to your file and reset one of the colors on your pallete to that RGB using the same process.

  4. #4
    Dean
    Guest

    Re: Background Cell shading colors

    Thanks. By the way, I realize now that all my yellow cells on a template I sent someone came back to me with a different color, after he populated it and returned it to me. I would doubt that he would bother to change so many.

    Does it make sense that, if his palette is different, it would automatically change the colors of each but, if so, wouldn't it change back to the original when I opened his file and resaved it? It doesn't seem to have done that.

    Thanks!
    Dean

  5. #5
    Bob Tarburton
    Guest

    Re: Background Cell shading colors

    The short version is - no help here.

    I'm not sure where the color palette is stored, though when you go to "copy from another workbook" it appears to be stored in the workbook. So it does not make sense that the palette would change unless the other user changed it, but I have seen this happen also.